9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2018 6:21 PM by piyum jj

moving a workbook to a new site

Thomas White

Is there anyone familiar with the multi-site mode ? I have 2 site on Tab Server and I want to copy a workbook from Site A to Site B. How can I do that ? It seems like the fact that much of the data I'm using is in Tableau extracts on Site A is preventing me from moving my workbook to Site B.

• 1. Re: moving a workbook to a new site
          Russell Christopher

Hi Thomas -

Sites are designed for multi-tenancy use case scenarios and therefore are completely distinct environments that don't interact with each other. As a result, you can't simply move a workbook from one site to another - doing so would go against the design of the feature.

What you can do is download a workbook from one site and republish it to another.

Hope this helps!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: moving a workbook to a new site
            Thomas White

The problem is that many of my data sources are Tableau extracts that live on Site A. When I go to download a workbook from Site A I am forced to login to Site A on Tableau Server, and then not allowed to log off, or when I publish to choose a different site to publish to. So, I am stuck. It feels like there should be a way to simply duplicate an entire site, as a starting point for a new site.

• 3. Re: moving a workbook to a new site
              Russell Christopher

Switching sites is much easier in Tableau Server v8 - I think you'll be pleased.

Your "site duplication" idea is a good one, too. Please consider adding it to the "Ideas" section. There has been some internal discussion around something similar already, so it would be nice to see users asking for it, too.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: moving a workbook to a new site
                Jared Kubly

I am trying to publish an existing workbook to a new site. I have copied data sources to the new site. However, when I try to switch data sources in the workbook using desktop I am not presented with an option to switch sites.

• 5. Re: moving a workbook to a new site
                  Manish Lalwani

I was trying to  achieve the same  but found a way around it. It is a bit painful work around but it works just fine. Follow the following steps to publish your work book to a different site :

1) Create a local copy for all the data sources in the workbook

2) Replace the original data sources with the local data sources

3) Click on data , connect to data source

4) You will now see the sign out option enabled

5) Login and connect to the desired site

6) Bring the data sources from the new site

7) Replace the local data sources with the new data sources and you should be all set.

P.S : You might have to create the calculated fields again if you are not able to replace the data sources with a similar name

• 6. Re: moving a workbook to a new site
                    Manish Lalwani

I was trying to  achieve the same  but found a way around it. It is a bit painful work around but it works just fine. Follow the following steps to publish your work book to a different site :

1) Create a local copy for all the data sources in the workbook

2) Replace the original data sources with the local data sources

3) Click on data , connect to data source

4) You will now see the sign out option enabled

5) Login and connect to the desired site

6) Bring the data sources from the new site

7) Replace the local data sources with the new data sources and you should be all set.

P.S : You might have to create the calculated fields again if you are not able to replace the data sources with a similar name

• 7. Re: moving a workbook to a new site
                      Jai Bhatraju

The simplest way to post it on another site would be to download--> publish it again.

But , if you would like to replicate the whole site(not server, in that case a Tabadmin back up helps) , Then there is a option of exporting the site to a file and then importing it again. ( of course it comes with all the users and permissions along with it)

tabadmin exportsite <site ID> --file <PATH>

or

tabadmin exportsite Esales --file C:\tableau\exported\sales_site.zip

Then 

tabadmin importsite <site ID> --file <FILE>   ( use "" in place of <site id> for default site)

Import the file sales_site.zip located in C:\tableau\exported to a site whose site ID is wsales:

tabadmin importsite wsales --file C:\tableau\exported\sales_site.zip -no-verify

Hope it helps

Cheers

Jai

• 8. Re: moving a workbook to a new site
                        Yazid Erman

A Perfect solution that saved my time, Thank you.

• 9. Re: moving a workbook to a new site
                          piyum jj

Russell Christopher/@all,

Thanks for the great info! I initially thought I could export the 3 non-default sites into the 1 default site, but now I realize that would overwrite/delete any content/settings on the initial site.

Since importing a site overwrites everything on a target site, can you tell me the best way to merge the dashboards, settings, etc. from 4 sites into 1 site?

The 3 non-default sites have 300 dashboards (and deleting dashboards is not an option), so I can't manually download them and republish to the 1 default site...

Let me know your thoughts.

Best,

Piyum