3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2012 9:43 AM by Daniel Carr

Can I do a bulk change of the server name in saved datasources in "\My Documents\My Tableau Repository\Datasources"?

Daniel Carr

Hello,

We have multiple users in our firm with Tableau Desktop.  Many of the users have saved connections (to SQL Server) in \My Documents\My Tableau Repository\Datasources.

Here is our issue: we are changing our db server name (making it an alias so works in DR situation) and would like to update the server value in all saved connections of all users.  Any thoughts on the best way to accomplish this?  Assuming we'd have to write a script or something.

All of the data connection info is xml based.  So, in sample below would like to change:

<connection authentication='sspi' class='sqlserver' dbname='MyDatabase' server='MyProdSQLServer'>

to

<connection authentication='sspi' class='sqlserver' dbname='MyDatabase' server='MyAliasSQLServer'>

Realize this request is out of the normal bounds of Tableau -- just curious if anyone has any ideas on the best way to accomplish this.

Greatly appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks,

Dan