9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2012 9:42 AM by Toby Erkson

Refreshes are timing out

Ruth Enriquez

We have several data sources which are set to refresh nightly. One of them is 4G and it times after two hours before it is done. This is also the case with other refreshes which are less than a gig. We need the entire data set so we can't limit the rows or columns. We want to understand why it is taking so long to process a refresh and what we can do get it refreshed in under two hours.

• 1. Re: Refreshes are timing out
          Tim Latendress

Hi Ruth,

Without knowing the details of your environment (OS, database, etc) you might look into whether your IT department is performing database backups at the same time you have scheduled your refresh. If that is the case, your Tableau Server admin might need to create a few other scheduling options for you to avoid that conflict.

--Tim

• 2. Re: Refreshes are timing out
            Ruth Enriquez

Hi Tim,

We are running on a Windows Server 2008 RS Standard with 12GB RAM. I should point out that regardless of the size of the refresh it is taking two hours for a refresh. We have another data source that only looks at thirty four rows and about 60 columns and it takes almost two hours to process. We have created various custom schedules to space out the refreshes and are no longer refreshing in parallel. Regarding the backup. We are running this larger refresh before the back up starts.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Refreshes are timing out
              Tim Latendress

Hi Ruth,

Thanks for the additional information. That amount of time is obviously unacceptable. What happens if you connect directly to one of those databases without the extract? How is query performance?  If performance is good, then I suspect there is a networking issue between Tableau Server and the database.  Maybe the database drivers need to be updated?

If none of that helps then I highly recommend your Tableau Server administrator zip up the Log files and open a ticket with Tableau.

--Tim

• 4. Re: Refreshes are timing out
                Ruth Enriquez

Hi Tim,

I will submit a ticket. It takes just as long when we try and connect directly.

Thanks

• 5. Re: Refreshes are timing out
                  Tim Latendress

Hi Ruth,

If query performance is also terrible from desktop then I suspect it is either a database problem or a SQL problem. Out of curiosity, are you using Custom SQL?  It could be bad SQL code that is joining tables on fields that are not indexed.

Fortunately, because you tested it in desktop you can open your Log file from \My Documents\My Tableau Repository\Logs\Log.txt. Look for the approximate time of your direct query to the database and you will find the SQL code that is being sent to your database. You might want your DBAs to take a look at the query. They should be able to tell you what is wrong.

--Tim

• 6. Re: Refreshes are timing out
                    Ruth Enriquez

Hi Tim,

We are not using a custom query. This is really looking at a very large table. We have millions of rows with over 100 columns. The issue though is that no matter how big our data set is, it takes about two hours for the refresh. We did a refresh of a data set with only 34 rows and it took an hour and a half.

Thanks,

Ruth Enriquez

• 7. Re: Refreshes are timing out
                      Tim Latendress

Hi Ruth,

Ugh!  You have not mentioned what kind of database you are using but, regardless, my guess is that there is something amiss with the query or the database design itself. Again I would recommend finding the query in your Tableau log and having a DBA check it out. If you have already opened a support ticket with Tableau they should be able to help figure it out as well.

Sorry I can't be of more help.  Be sure to report back what the problem was when you get it resolved. Maybe someone else can benefit from your findings.

Best of luck to you, Ruth.

--Tim

• 8. Re: Refreshes are timing out
                        Ruth Enriquez

Hi Tim,

We are refreshing from a SQL database and we are not running any custom query. I hope to get a response today via a ticket submitted.

Thanks,

Ruth

• 9. Re: Refreshes are timing out
                          Toby Erkson

Ruth, please give us the details when you get an answer.  If you come up with a solution then post that too.  You never know who else might run into a similar issue plus it may provide others witha an "ah ha!" moment.  Thanks!