2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2015 10:33 AM by Toby Erkson

Tableau Server Admin:  Job role/description for you in your company?

Toby Erkson

Okay folks, I've moved from a Tableau Developer into a Tableau Server Admin role.  It's new for the company and they're looking for a job description beyond "Administrating the Tableau Server" LOL

So, for those of you who are server admins would you mind posting your job description so I can get an idea of what I should come up with?

• 1. Re: Tableau Server Admin:  Job role/description for you in your company?
          Rishabh Dhingra

Hi Toby,

I am in a similar position today as you were around 2 years back

I've been asked to define the roles and responsibilities of the Tableau Server admin. I am pretty sure you could help me with this.

Would appreciate your inputs.

Thanks,

Rishabh

• 2. Re: Tableau Server Admin:  Job role/description for you in your company?
            Toby Erkson

Here's a part of a position plan document I made back in January of 2014 (thus some of the terms used are dated).  It's a start:

• Become the expert for Tableau server administration.
            • Add users
            • Create/Manage Groups, Workbooks and Projects, Database Views, Data Sources and Data Connections
            • Add/Edit Sites and corresponding administration rights (System vs. Content)
            • Create/Modify/Manage server task schedules
            • Monitor server activity/usage statistics to identify possible performance issues/enhancements
            • Run cleanup and create backups of the database
            • Upgrade server software
            • Enforce policies; assist users with workflows
            • Work with program manager as necessary regarding issues such as server down-time, versioning
            • Provide Tableau support to users
            • Set up documentation for policies & procedures (workflows) in SharePoint tabs for:
              • Administering the servers
              • Licensing
                • Types – Viewer; Interactor; Guest
                • Who gets what Type
              • Logs and Temporary Files
              • Report publication (from QA to PROD)
                • What does the admin do?
                • What do users do?
              • Use policies
                • How to get started with Tableau as a User or Developer
                • Standards
              • Access policies
                • Approval process of who (guest, Group, etc.) can view what (workbook, Project, etc.)
            1 of 1 people found this helpful