2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2012 9:38 AM by Michel Khennafi

Table Calculation - Total value error

Michel Khennafi

Good morning to all

1 - In the attached image, you will see that the column (2)-(1)% is calculated correctly for each row, with the exception of the subtotal where the value 537% is calculated when I should have 50% or so. Has anybody ran into this problem before? Can someone help me solve this issue?

2 - In the attached image you will see that my cumulated calculations are correct (I used tableau calculation to define the field) BUT same issue appears with the cumulated percentages. Has anybody ran into this problem before? Can someone help me solve this issue?

• 1. Re: Table Calculation - Total value error
          Tracy Rodgers

Hi Michel,

Totals in Tableau use whatever aggregation is on the measure. So if a calculated field is created, the totals will incorporate whatever the calculation is to the totals. For example, if MIN is the aggregation being used, the total will return the lowest value in the entire column, not a sum of all the MIN values. I am unable to see what the calculations are. Would it be possible to post a workbook (twbx file) so that maybe we could find a work around?

-Tracy

• 2. Re: Table Calculation - Total value error
            Michel Khennafi

Tracy:

Truly appreciate your support... The subtotals are calculated correctly when it comes to $$$ values (See columns 1 and 2)...The column (2)-(1) however is a simple difference between the values in the columns 1 and 2 on the same row... Why I am trying to find is the following:

Subtotal column 1 is $2.032M --> Which is correct

Subtotal column 2 is $4.560M --> Which is correct

Subtotal column 2-1 is -$2.52M --> Which is correct

The % of -2.52/4.4.56 is wrong... this is calculated by Tableau in the subtotal row... It should be 50+%

Can you guide me as to what needs to be done to achieve the goal?

Sincerely

Michel