4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2013 2:02 PM by satyam.patel

quick filters disappear

Raoul Leblanc

I have a workbook with a large number of fairly complex dimensions and many worksheets.  To help me organize, I have about 8 fields globally filtered and have put them on a separate worksheet so I can easily change or reset them as needed.  The problem is that if I place more than three or four of them side by side, the ones on the left disappear and a dotted line (vertical) appears in their place.  This occurs even though there appears to be ample room for the filters to appear fully.  If I make the ones ont he right more narrow, the "disappearing filters" reappear.  However, this is not really a workable solution.

This is very frustrating.   Suggestions greatly appreciated.

I am attaching a simplified file to demonstrate.

• 1. Re: quick filters disappear
          LeeKian Lai

Does dashboard a better solution of your problem?

• 2. Re: quick filters disappear
            Tracy Rodgers

Hi Raoul,

I think LeeKian's suggestion is probably your best bet. Another option would be to stack the quick filters, place the shorter lists under another quick filter where there is space below.

-Tracy

• 3. Re: quick filters disappear
              Raoul Leblanc

Thanks to both of you.  I am not sure why the dashboard thing works, but it appears to.

Tracy, I sort of need the long menus to avoid having to scroll too much.  the real menus are more extensive than the ones I sent in the example.

• 4. Re: quick filters disappear
                satyam.patel

I have kind of similar issue but it is not consistent. I have 2 sheets and a dashboard. Both sheets have 4 shared quick filters(all mulitiple checkboxes). Once published and login to Tableau server as an Admin user, all filters were fine & working. However, when I logged-out and logged-in as an Admin user again 2 filters were disappered in both worksheets and a dashboard, also the data was not data showing up. I did re-publish the same workbook many times but still those 2 filters were disappeared as well as data.

In desktop I changed one filter size (thinking it may be a space issue), published the same report and logged-in as an Admin user. All 4 filters were showed up and worked fine. But again same 2 filters disappered after I logged-out and logged-in with same Admin user.

The behaviour of disappering filters is not consistent. In short, all filters and data shows up only when I change something in desktop, re-publish it and view @ first attempt in Tableau Server.  This behaviour creates more confusion to resolve this issue. Any help will be greatly appriciated.

Also, I make sure that the Filter permission is allowed.

Data connection is to Microsoft Analysis Service Cube.

Thanks,