3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2012 1:22 PM by Luke Bryant

Filter a multi-data source view

Brent Mumphrey

I have one view that is built from two different data sources.  The first source has State, County, ***, Population Estimate.  The Second source has County, ***, Case Count.  These two data sources are linked on County and ***.  On the view I created a calculated field that calculates the rate for each county based on the case count from the 2nd source and the population estimate from the first.  I'd like for the user to be able to filter the rate based on ***, but it seems to only filter one data source by ***.  How do I get Tableau to filter both data sources on *** with one global filter?

Thanks,

• 1. Re: Filter a multi-data source view
          Luke Bryant

I don't think you can do what you are asking for in the current setup.

From what I have found you might need to join before they are sent into tableau.  When you connect to data source choose multiple table, select both sources and define the join there.  Once this is done you will have a single dataset that can be filtered.

• 2. Re: Filter a multi-data source view
            Brent Mumphrey

Luke,

I could easily Join all the data into one table  for the simple example I gave, where I have population estimates at the level of county and ***.  But ultimately I would have cases counts broken down to a level, like disease site, and the population estimates aren't broken down to that level. I would like to give the user the option to filter the calculated rates by county, ***, and disease site. So the rate would be calculated by the case count for that county, ***, and disease site divided by the population of the same county and *** that the user choose.

Is there another way I should be doing this?  Can I create custom SQL with parameters set by the user and passed to the SQL?

• 3. Re: Filter a multi-data source view
              Luke Bryant

I can't think of a way to do it through the SQL, but it might be possible to do it through a parameter in tableau.  If you only wanted to filter on *** it would not be that difficult you would create a calculated field in each of the datasets that the parameter would control.  It would act as a filter in the back ground.  Where this can get difficult is when you want to filter by something with many options.