8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2012 8:28 AM by Yigang Chen

Data source exception on tableau server connecting to vertica

Yigang Chen

Hey,

I'm very new in the Tableau field. I've installed both tableau desktop and server (a trial version). Now I'm trying to publish a view from the desktop to the server. The view points to a Vertica 6.0 db server and works well in desktop. Upon publishing to server however I run into a DataSourceException, the message saying:

• The drivers necessary to connect to the database server 'the.db.host' are not properly installed on Tableau Server. Visit http://www.tableausoftware.com/drivers to download driver setup files. Database error 0x80004005: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified
      • Unable to connect to the server 'the.db.host'. Check that the server is running and that you have access privileges to the requested database

I am able to ping 'the.db.host' from where the tableau server is installed, so I guess the connection works fine and it is a driver issue. Has anyone run into this situation? How can I find out what vertica drivers installed in the desktop and the server? If the server does not have the correct vertica driver, how do I install one?

-Yigang