3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2012 4:40 PM by Dimitri.B

Data connection lost after reopen the workbook

Ken Zheng

Hi

I created a secondary data connection (MS SQL Server) in a workbook, and created bunch of views and things. after that, I saved the workbook and quit Tableau program.

After I re-open the workbook, it prompt that the secondary data connection is not found, and all my work is lost. All measures and dimensions from that data connection is lost. and calculated measure become something like [sqlserver.41201.687470069446].[GrowthTarget] which throws errors.

Put it simple, I lost a day of my work after I saved the workbook.

Anything I can to recover from it? It's my 2nd week using Tableau, and this is not a good experience.

• 1. Re: Data connection lost after reopen the workbook
          Dimitri.B

Your work is not lost, Tableau just can't make calculations or display anything if data source is missing.

I can think of two options:

- fix whatever is causing connection problems (this might involve your IT department/administrator/etc.)

- replicate some of the data from missing connection in Excel or Access, with the same structure and then do Data -> Replace Datasource... in Tableau to point your workbook to the new source. The numbers will be wrong, but you get your work back.

BTW, this is not necessarily a Tableau problem, it could be your MS SQL Server issue.

• 2. Re: Data connection lost after reopen the workbook
            Ken Zheng

Hi Dimitri,

Thank you. I created the data connection with the same data and source. however, it seems the old data fields are still there, and I can't replace them. I encountered the following errors when I try to give my new measure a alias.

How can I get rid of that [sqlserver.41201.6870069446] ?

Capture.PNG

• 3. Re: Data connection lost after reopen the workbook
              Dimitri.B

This might be the part where your best bet is to contact Tableau Support. I have had similar issues with ghost fields too, but I just started from scratch to work around it.

1 of 1 people found this helpful