4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2012 7:50 AM by Jonathan Drummey

Identifying duplicates easily

Joe Madigan

Does anyone know an easy way to highlight duplicate fields? I have a lot of data and am trying to identify duplicates in one particular field? Thanks.

• 1. Re: Identifying duplicates easily
          Alex Kerin

One way would be to drag all of the fields you consider makes it a duplicate out to Rows, make them all discrete, then use a filter on sum(number of records) to see how many are duplicated.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Identifying duplicates easily
            Jonathan Drummey

Similar to Alex's, drag all the fields to make a unique record onto Rows, make them discrete, then put Number of Records on Columns. If you only see an axis from 0 to 2, then all the bars will be at 1 and all the records are unique, otherwise there are duplicate records. You can then use the one-click sort on the Number of Records axis to sort for the duplicates.

Re-reading your question, are you trying to count how many times a particular value in a single field is used? You can use the same process for just one field.

Jonathan

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Identifying duplicates easily
              Joe Madigan

Jonathan/Alex, Many thanks so far. The field that I am checking for duplicates is a Dimension. It is a list of Purchase Order numbers where I'm checking to see if there are any duplicates implying that we placed the same order twice. I cannot make a Dimension discrete, do I need to convert it first?

• 4. Re: Identifying duplicates easily
                Jonathan Drummey

If the icon to the left of the Purchase Order numbers in the Dimensions window is blue, it's Discrete already and will be a blue pill when you drag it onto the view. If the icon is green or when you drag it out you get a green pill, it's continous and you can right-click on it to set it to Discrete.

Generally, by default Dimensions are discrete and Measures are continuous, but each can be the other.

Jonathan