1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 16, 2012 6:21 AM by Jonathan Drummey

How to combine data from multiple databases and show them on a single sheet ?

Basically i have a very simple report which i need to create in tableau. The overall look will be exactly like a table.

Problem here is that i need to show data from different databases in this single sheet.

The overall layout and requirement can be seen in the image below. Database First and Database SEcond are located on 2 separate database machines.

I have connected to both these databases and  i able to show the data separately using 2 sheets but since the format is the same it doesnt make sense to have multiple sheets. I want to merge the data from Database First with Database Second and use only 1 sheet.

Combining Data from multiple databases in Tableau.PNG

• 1. Re: How to combine data from multiple databases and show them on a single sheet ?
          Jonathan Drummey

You'll need to either create a master table with every combination of Department/Team/Members and then use a Tableau Data Blend from that table to the two fact tables, or set things up to UNION the two tables together. Most databases have an ability to create a view that is of a table in another database, also called linking a table. So, on database A you could create a view to the table on database B, then on database A you could create a UNION query that selects from A.table, and A.(table from B), and then use query as your Tableau data source.

Jonathan