--Chart w/ 3 measures (dataset 1)

--Chart w/ 3 measures (dataset 2)

--Chart w/ 3 measures (dataset 3)

--Chart w/ 3 measures (dataset 4)

Is this possible?

• 1. Re: organize charts by dimension
          Jonathan Drummey

Hi,

Most anything is possible in Tableau, however it's hard to give you an exact answer of how to go about doing so without having a better understanding of the structure of your data and the desired outcome. For example, are the datasets a different dimension, or are they from different data sources? If from different sources, do they have the same format or different formats? When you say "organize charts," do you want one view/page/dashboard with everything in it, or separate views/dashboards/pages?

Jonathan

• 2. Re: organize charts by dimension
            Kyle B

They are all coming from the same source database, some from the same tables, some from different tables.

The data sources are:

date, dimension,measure1,measure2,measure3,measure4,measure5,measure6

and, very simlarly:

date, dimension,measure7,measure8,measure9,measure10,measure11,measure12

I can easily pivot these to key values if needed.

I would like one view with all of these.

• 3. Re: organize charts by dimension
              Jonathan Drummey

Here are some ideas:

If you want everything in a single view (worksheet), the easiest to implement in Tableau (but potentially the most work to set up) would be use Custom SQL to UNION the 4 datasources together into a single source that had the dimension, the data source as another dimension, and the measure values appropriately assigned within the dimension/source into 3 buckets (assuming the measure data types are all the same).

Alternatively, you could potentially left-join from a master table of dimensional values (which could potentially be generated through SQL, or use an existing table), or even use Tableau's data blending feature. In these options, you'd likely end up creating a single view as a dashboard that would have either 4 (one per dimension) or 16 (one per dimension/data source) worksheets on it, whether that is necessary would depend on the details of the data.

Jonathan

• 4. Re: organize charts by dimension
                Kyle B

I appreciate your input - but the data format is not my concern. What I'm trying to figure out is how to I physically lay it out to achieve this goal in one view. Let's assume the data is in perfect (whatever that is) format.

• 5. Re: organize charts by dimension
                  Jonathan Drummey

You haven't specified what kind of mark type, what you'd want for X and Y axes, whether the measures have comparable data types and ranges, etc. so it's tough to say what would look good and meet your requirements.

An important concept in Tableau is that it uses the elements of your data (dimensions, measures, data types, ranges, etc.) to generate the view. Therefore, understanding how your data is set up is critical to being able to identify what needs to be done to create a specific view.

Assuming that you have Dimension and the Data Source as discrete dimensions in the data, each would be a blue (discrete) pill that would create headers. Then the measures could either be incorporated as continous axes (green pills), or combined using Measure Names/Measure Values. The pills could be rearranged as necessary, mark types changed, etc. I assembled two horizontal bar chart views in the following screenshots, using the Superstore Sales data:

screenshot2.jpg

screenshot3.jpg

• 6. Re: organize charts by dimension
                    Kyle B

You are correct, I didn't specify the viz type. My bad.

I'm looking to do line charts with three lines on each. The key point that I guess I've failed to mention/get across effectively is that the measures will be different. So instead of:

Store

Sales

Profit

Discount

Store

Sales

Profit

Discount

I'm trying to get:

Store

Sales,Profit,Discount (1 3-line chart)

Inventory, RetailPrice, WholesalePrice (1 3-line chart)

Store

Sales,Profit,Discount (1 3-line chart)

Inventory, RetailPrice, WholesalePrice (1 3-line chart)

Does this make sense? My speculation is that this is not possible in Tableau.

• 7. Re: organize charts by dimension
                      Jonathan Drummey

See the attached. I used Custom SQL based on the Coffee Chain DB (since that data has a lot of measures) to create a Group dimension (to create the sets of measures) and a Measure dimension (to identify the measures), and a Value field that has the corresponding value for the measure. Then I used Market as a stand-in for Store in your example, and set up a view. Since this is a proof of concept, I only did two measures per group, but I think you can get the idea.

• 8. Re: organize charts by dimension
                        Kyle B

Thank you, that was super helpful.

Can I use a formula in the axis label? I'd love it to say something other than "values" - but the label would be different for each group.

• 9. Re: organize charts by dimension
                          Jonathan Drummey

You can't use a formula in an axis label (as of Tableau 7.0 at least), but you can delete the axis label and then use the right-most discrete pill to be a fake axis label, as in the attached Sheet 4. And that could be a calculated field if you want.

Jonathan

• 10. Re: organize charts by dimension
                            Shawn Wallwork

So Jonathan you've been qualifying some of your "you can't" statements with "as of Tableau 7.0" lately. Do you know something? Will this get fixed in 8.0?

--Shawn

• 11. Re: organize charts by dimension
                              Jonathan Drummey

I wish I knew! With custom axis titles being a fairly common request, and Tableau v8 on the horizon, I was thinking that the version qualifier would be good to add, just in case someone finds this thread in a search.

Jonathan

• 12. Re: organize charts by dimension
                                Shawn Wallwork

"...just in case someone finds this thread..." HA!

But I understand the sentiment.

--Shawn