2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2012 11:20 AM by Benjamin Torgesen

csv files no longer open directly in Excel in 7.0.7

Zachary Fraile

Ever since we updated to server 7.0.7, we've been having a strange problem with .csv files.  It used to be that you could generate the .csv file from the "view data" option and it would open right up in Excel.  Since the upgrade, the .csv file does not open as delimited in Excel (I've tried both Excel 2007 and 2010).  By automatically, I mean that if I double click the filename in Windows Explorer that Excel will figure out the comma delimiter and parse it automatically on open.  I can still manually open the file in Excel and select the comma delimiter to parse it, but it no longer does so automatically.  This is problematic as we have many unsophisticated users that won't know or remember how to do manual parsing.

A crosstab export will also generate a .csv file.  However, a text editor view shows that it is actually a tab delimited file that is generated.  This file opens up cleanly in Excel automatically.

Any other .csv file I try to open from Windows Explorer does not have this problem so I don't believe it is an issue with Excel.  I've tried .csv files created from Excel, from alternate programs,and even ones I've manually created in a text editor.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks