3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2012 5:09 AM by Aaron Anzalone

design recommendations for viz

Hunter Schimpff

I was hoping to get some design pointers. I am stuck right now and haven't quite tableau-ed what I'm hoping for.

I have a list of schools, and am reporting on their proficiency levels in a particular subject for 2011 (one data point) and then 2012 (2nd data point).

If possible, I'd like to show the size of growth (or decline) between the two from yr 1 to yr 2.

I've attached a screenshot of two possibilities I'm working on.

On #1, I've connected the data points with a line and am able to show growth. The drawback here is that if there is negative growth, it is the same set of colors, which is a bit confusing to users. The other drawback is I have 2 schools that don't have 2011 data points in this subject, so nothing appears when these schools are selected.

On #2, it shows the points, and I'm using the side by side circle viz, but the size of growth is lost. When I try to add measure values to size, it reverts to a different viz and won't let me do it. And the 2 schools that have only 2012 data points aren't showing up either.

Any tips on best way to represent, show growth (decline), and get those two schools to appear?