4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2012 2:09 PM by Matt Stoffa

Shading rows based on data

Matt Stoffa

I have created a sheet using a variable 'X' as a row.  'X' may have 7 different values.  I have sucessfully dropped 'X' into the Color section under Marks, and modified the colors.  This changes the color of the FONT used for each row.  I want to change the BACKGROUND COLOR (aka SHADING) of each row based on the value of the data in one of the columns.  How can I do this? 

• 1. Re: Shading rows based on data
          Tracy Rodgers

Hi Matt,

I have attached a workbook with instructions on how to do this.

Hope this helps!

-Tracy

• 2. Re: Shading rows based on data
            Matt Stoffa

Tracy,

I've gotten this done through step 3, but I'm not sure what you mean by ...

4. On the marks card, use the slider to bring the bars together.

I have attached a screenshot of my current workbook (with most of the critical information blocked out).  Two questions:

1.  How do I merge the colors with the data values in the 10 columns?  I think this is what you were describing in point #4 (above), but I'm not clear on how to do this.

2.  How do I make the dimension labels under "Opportunity Classification" also use the same background color?  Basically, I want the entire row to be red, orange, yellow, etc.

Thanks.

- Matt

what_next.jpg

• 3. Re: Shading rows based on data
              Tracy Rodgers

Hi Matt,

Sorry if I was unclear. From the screenshot, it looks like step 4 has already been done (I was referring to the slider under the Size shelf on the Marks Card). However, to get the colors to merge with the data values, edit the sizes in the Size Legend, click in the upper right corner and select Edit Sizes... Then, move the slider to the far right so that it is set to be largest.

Currently, it's not possible to change the background color of the dimensions to be the same color--might be good to add to the Ideas section!

Hope this helps!

-Tracy

• 4. Re: Shading rows based on data
                Matt Stoffa

Tracy,

Got it ... the size legend took care of it.

I'll throw the dimension shading into the ideas section ... can't imagine I'm the only one that wants something like that.

Thanks!

-Matt