6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2017 12:31 PM by Tyler Garrett

manual data entry on a table

Thomas Beaulieu

Please see the attached picture.  For the row marked Increment %, I would like to make manual data entries.  Most values for the Increment % will be unique but some will repeat.  I plan to use values like 10%, 8%, 6%, 4%, 4%, etc.  After I manually input these percentage values, I would like to multiply the *Sales - Recon value by the Increment% value and show the result on the line labeled Impact $.  Any ideas on how to do this?

Thanks,

Tom

Capture.PNG

• 1. Re: manual data entry on a table
          Tracy Rodgers

Hi Thomas,

You can do this by writing a very manual calculated field or simply by adding the data to the data source. The calculated field would look similar to the following:

if [Range of units sold/year]='1-10' and [Unit Range $]='<100' then .10

elseif [Range of units sold/year]='1-10' and [Unit Range $]='100-500' then .08

etc

etc

end

Hope this helps a bit!

-Tracy

• 2. Re: manual data entry on a table
            Thomas Beaulieu

Hi Tracey, thanks for the reply.  My values for increment % will not be static so I cannot calculate them with your suggested code, I would end up changing the code every time I wanted to make a change in the Increment% value.  Same problem with adding the value to my data.  I was hoping that I would be able to change these values directly within the table and watch the Increment value automatically update, kind of like an excel spreadsheet where the value of a calculated cell is dependent on the value of a manual entry cell somewhere else in the spreadsheet.  I do appreciate the effort though, thanks again.

Tom

• 3. Re: manual data entry on a table
              Michael Cristiani

Thomas,

Take a look at the Sales Forecast dashboard in the sample Sales workbook that ships with Tableau.  IT has some ideas on how to implement this.

Michael

• 4. Re: manual data entry on a table
                janet kissho

Thomas,

The above answers are very good, I want to suggest you this website from which you can get a lot of help I am sure about that.

• 5. Re: manual data entry on a table
                  Don Barnetson

Hi Thomas,

Maybe try this:

- Create parameters with percentages/values (depending on your calculations), for each calculation, from 1 to 100.

- Create a calculated field for each range (i.e.; <100, 100-500, etc.). Example: Sum([Sales]-[Recon])*[Parameter]

It may take some time if you want to incorporate each parameter into your sheet or dashboard, but it should do something close to what you're looking to do.

Let me know how it works if you decide to give it a try.

Don

• 6. Re: manual data entry on a table
                    Tyler Garrett

There's a way to synthesis data into a query... But I call it the glass legs of your solution. I'm thinking answering this with an example; VS helping with this scary crosstab, might be better usage of my time. And i hope it helps you...

Don't let this be your hammer.... It's just a savy SQL trick. And data should be manipulated BEFORE you get it, otherwise you're asking Tableau to be an ETL product, and your DBA, MANAGER, and maybe even some sort of weird compliance law that I don't know jack about.

It works great, and it can also be a big glass LEG to stand on.

Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 2.15.54 PM.png

Here I want to get May and Jun in the table above. Pretend it's not there, and the query below gets it there!

QUERY is our reporting flag, and we know what it points at, you want to turn these into integers, and have a mapping document that clearly explains what those integers are, but before i get too deep in optimization, let's get to the query.

Let's rock...

Synthesizing data in a SQL query

select

month,

integer,

'table' as query

from TableA

union

select

'May' as month,

5 as integer,

'synthesized' as query

union

select

'May' as month,

5 as integer,

'synthesized' as query

Don't make this your only hammer. But it absolutely will implement data into a table, to be utilized at your disposal.

This solution came from a solution I made in 8.0 -> because dynamic parameters are a thing (that you don't want to manually deal with EVER EVER NEVER). And it also solves many to many, which stems from a need for global filters -> which until V10 you didn't have a 'all related datasources'

You will need to cast anything that doesn't have the same data type. Ask your DBA for help if this seems crazy. Sorry in advance if it's far off, but what I'm seeing is "MANUAL DATA ENTRY" and that's a 'nope taco' in tableau.

Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 2.27.03 PM.png

Sorry i have a weird sense of humor. Otherwise this would not be fun to read, and I think it's actually really fun to know how to solve the #1 most requested idea for YEARS. Thanks for your time.

Best,

Tyler

Dev3lop