2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2012 3:41 AM by Andrew Watson

Percantage of Total with filter

Ajit Kumar

Hi,

Scenario - I have 5 Manufacturer and there sales. I have created a Table of Manufacturer with their sales. Now I have performed a Table calculation called Percentage of Total on sales. Let’s say I am getting 20% each as a sales of all the Manufacturer. Now I have shown a quick filter on Manufacturer. When I select any one manufacturer the sales% is changing to 100%. I understand the logic why it is going to 100%.

What I need to understand is how to fix the sales% for each manufacturer even if I change the filter of Manufacturer  only the actual number should be shown in the table that is 20%. I mean to say as the percantage of total or the sale% for each Manufacturer is 20% which is correct figure,only this number should come after applying the filter also

Ajit

• 1. Re: Percantage of Total with filter
          Wilson Po

Hi Ajit,

Focusing on one Manufacturer while still computing the correct totals means that we need to assure that the query still pulls all 5 manufacturers.  Unfortunately filters strip off all other manufacturers from the query and Tableau becomes unaware of what the accurate total should be.  Instead use the "Hide" function - this retains other manufacturers but simply does not display them.  This allows us to compute the correct % of total.

http://downloads.tableausoftware.com/quickstart/feature-guides/hide_columns.pdf

If a quick filter control is desired, you can also use table calculations to force the filter to only hide information. to d so create a calculated filed with the following formula:

LOOKUP(ATTR([Manufacturer]),0)

When you add this field to the level of detail and generate the quick filter off of that, it will create a control that will only hide members rather than filter it out.

Hope this helps!

Wilson Po

• 2. Re: Percantage of Total with filter
            Andrew Watson

Hi Ajit

Wilson is correct. This thread contains the same advice: http://community.tableau.com/thread/119973 but we discovered a limitation to this technique where it only works for the one worksheet, not the entire dashboard, which may or may not be an issue for you.

Andrew