4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2013 9:19 PM by Nicholas Drake

Context filters in published data sources

Running Desktop 7.0.7 and Server 7.0.7 I am unable to use a context filter when my data source is an extract published to the Data Server. Anyone else seeing this?

• 1. Re: Context filters in published data sources
          Wilson Po

Hi Phil,

I just tested the same scenario and my end and am not seeing any errors with this. Can you add a screenshot of what you are seeing or what errors are coming up?

Best

Wilson

• 2. Re: Context filters in published data sources
            Ijaz Osman

Yes.  I too am using 7.07 desktop and server.  I published an extract to the server as a published data source.  When I replaced my extract with the published data source, I got 5 errors stating that columns don't exist (i.e.No such column [AUA per Household (copy)]). 

One of my calculated fields based on Username is on the Filters shelf, and it was set to Add to Context.  I chose Remove from Context, and it works fine now. 

The 5 columns/errors don't even exist in my seed datasource, extract or published data source, although they did at one point.

I have an open ticket with Tableau.

• 3. Re: Context filters in published data sources
              Carson Dallum

We are able to reproduce this issue with Tableau data extracts that have been published to a Tableau server (both v7).  Calculated fields published to the server using a count distinct (countd) function in conjunction with a context filter causes the error.  Using a context filter with calculated fields published to the server not using the count distinct function doesn't cause any errors.

I'm guessing the [AUA per Household (copy)] column either contains or references a column that counts the distinct number of households.  This in conjunction with the context filter would cause the error.

• 4. Re: Context filters in published data sources
                Nicholas Drake

I'm having this same issue whenever I add a context filter.  I was using desktop version 7.0.0 and received a "No such column" error, so I updated to version 7.0.12 - now I am getting the below error.

Invalid field formula due to limitations in the data source.

prepare.xml

class DataSourceException