4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2012 12:26 PM by Robert Bell

Display project name as a dashboard header?

Robert Bell

Does anyone know how the project name, rather than the dashboard title, as the page heading when saving to Tableau Server? We managed to achieve this once by accident but subsequently overwrote that version.

I can't find any options to achieve this when publishing.

Any help will be very gratefully received.

Bob

• 1. Re: Display project name as a dashboard header?
          Wilson Po

Hi Bob,

I actually don't believe this is possible.  For the dashboard to inherit the project name from Server, it would need to understand where it is being published to, which only really occurs after the workbook has been published.  There's no parameters in the Desktop tool or User functions that will allow for this to occur.  The user functions do allow for us to figure out the login credential and potentially the user group that the log in belongs to, perhaps that is the piece we are looking for?

What's more typical (and something I encourage more) is to simply hard code the project name.  As the publish process is a deliberate process that the publisher makes, where the file ends up should be something that the publisher determines.  Assuming the the organization of Server does not change very often, there is a very low chance that this can be misaligned. 

Best,

Wilson

• 2. Re: Display project name as a dashboard header?
            Robert Bell

HI Wilson

Thanks for the reply, but I don't think I made myself clear. Please see the attached screenshot and note - I'm perfectly happy to manually edit the title when I publish, but where do I do this? I'm relatively new to Tableau, so apologies if this is a bit of a dumb question; however I'm sure that I've seen this achieved by chance when a consultant visited (although he can't remember how he did it, and that version has since been overwritten).

Many thanks for all your help.

Best wishes

Bob

• 3. Re: Display project name as a dashboard header?
              Wilson Po

Ah... that makes much more sense.  That would be the workbook name; if you edit your dashboard title (double click on your title or use the menu on that dashboard object), it will be a parameter value (Workbook Name) you can add in the "Insert" options.

Workbook Name.jpg

Hope this helps!

Wilson Po

• 4. Re: Display project name as a dashboard header?
                Robert Bell

Thanks Wilson! This makes sense now - workbook duly amended and published ...

Cheers

Bob