2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2012 1:57 AM by suresh.joshi.0

How do I use a measure where its name contains a relative date?

suresh.joshi.0

Hello all,

I'm trying to create a chart based on a source data extract that I have no control over. I have several measures, each of which contains the date which the measure was obtained in the title of the measure (relative to the current month).

So, for example, I have 12 columns containing data to be plotted, however the column titles are:

XYZ-1 ('Represent's the previous month - ie. July 2012)

XYZ-2 ('Represents two months ago - ie. June 2012)

XYZ-3

XYZ-12

However, I would like to plot each of those measures against dates, so does anyone know how I could link those measure titles to actual dates?

Thanks,

-Suresh

• 1. Re: How do I use a measure where its name contains a relative date?
          Tamas Foldi

The best would if you could do the unpivoting in database / query level. You should have a date dimension table joined with case-whens to your extracted data. Is it possible to use a date dimension table in your case? What database is used? Maybe when can help you how to transform the query.

However, if you have a date dimension and your values in a SQL92 compliant server, then something like:

SELECT

CASE

WHEN d.date = sysdate() - INTERVAL '1 MONTH' THEN XYZ-1

WHEN d.date = sysdate() - INTERVAL '2 MONTH' THEN XYZ-2

END measure,

d.date

FROM you_extracted_date e

CROSS JOIN date_dimension d

WHERE d.date in (sysdate()- INTERVAL '2 MONTH', sysdate() - INTERVAL '1 MONTH')

Anyway, you can build the same query with tableau filters.

• 2. Re: How do I use a measure where its name contains a relative date?
            suresh.joshi.0

Hi Tamas,

Thanks for that reply. Temporarily, I used some different date fields stored in my Excel source data, but I think for a 'correct' solution, I need to go the route you suggested.

Thanks!

-SJ