3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2012 1:00 PM by Steph Stanfield

Tableau for custom background maps

I've been looking at Tableau to create interactive drill down visualizations for a large layout diagram.  The layout diagram is composed of multiple pie charts with pie-slices (level 3), each denoting a sub-set (level 2).  There are groups (level 1) of these sub-sets.

The visualization (dashboard) is to help zoom in to a group (level 1) and view all the pie-charts in that group.  I think I need to use background maps, since I need to drill down and up, but I wasn't sure how.

Also, I need to be able to select multiple slices or have multiple slices selected based on other criteria. 

Getting to a pie slice, I need to be able to see additional information about the slice in a tool-tip.

Any suggestions how this can be done?  Thanks!

• 1. Re: Tableau for custom background maps
          Steph Stanfield

Hi Prabhat,

I created a sample workbook to show how it might work if you use filter actions to jump the user from one view to another, in a drill down sequence.

You can select multiple slices by dragging a window around them, or holding down Ctrl and clicking on multiple slices. The details view will update based on your selection. Qualifying the filter with a specific field (e.g.: setting Source Field to State at the bottom of the window) gives you more control over the drill down action.

Use filter actions to drill down from view to view.png

The other item, adding more items to the Tooltip, is simple. Just add those fields to the Level of Detail pane.

Use LOD to add info to tooltip.png

Which changes the default tooltip Tooltip_default.png

to one with all of the new fields. Tooltip_addedLOD.png

I hope this is useful. Let us know if you have questions.

Thanks,

Steph

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Tableau for custom background maps

Hi Steph,

Thanks.  This is definitely moving in the right direction. 

Is there a way (in the dashboard) in step 1, to display a pie for each of the states (and cities...), Step 2 to show a zoom in view of the cities selected in step 1, and indicating product category breakout of the sales (funiture, office supplies, etc), and selecting Furniture, Office supplies, we see in the detail view a break out of customer segments sold to (corporate, consumer, home office, small business).  In each of the step 1, clicking on a color slice selects the entire color slice, not any smaller slice within.  I've attached a rough picture of what I had in mind... let me know if this makes sense.  This may seem to be an unsual way of rendering information since I'm not really interested in doing any aggregate calculation at the end.  My interest is allowing slice-dice along attribute dimensions (all text).

I appreciate your help.

--Prabhat

• 3. Re: Tableau for custom background maps
              Steph Stanfield

Hi Prabhat,

There are different ways to drill down from level to level. I narrowed down the list of cities in the sample data to get it closer to what you describe, but pie charts limit your viewer's interaction with the data. Since you're moving from region to state, Tableau's embedded maps work as a more intuitive selector, taking you rapidly to the state level, and then displaying cities. The chart symbol on the cities can then be set to a pie chart to indicate the % of total sales by product category.

Your viewer can select multiple states, specific cities within those states, and dial in other variables using the quick filters. To see more information in the crosstab (Sales Details) or in the pop-up tooltip, you can add data fields to your Level of Detail panel on the relevant view (or create additional filters). I've attached two workbook variations. The one marked v3 seems the most appealing and intuitive.

Try playing with the workbooks, and see what you come up with.Filter actions can also decrease the number of steps your viewers need to get to the detailed data, keeping the dashboard more streamlined. Check out these resources: http://kb.tableausoftware.com/articles/knowledgebase/Filter-Actions and http://downloads.tableausoftware.com/quickstart/feature-guides/actions_filter.pdf.

Hope this helps,

Steph