5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2012 6:20 AM by Jonathan Drummey

Dynamic axis in multiple dashboard views

Jon Boeckenstedt

I have a minor problem I'd like to solve.  I hope I'm not overlooking a simple fix.

Below is a screenshot of a three-year view of application, admit, and gross and net deposits for the freshman admissions office.  It runs off an MS Analysis Cube, as it's just a high-level report.  Originally, I had each axis on the view change dynamically.  But given that I want to compare values (for instance, applicants) across years, the axes in all three views need to be fixed; I set them at 22,000.

Three Year View.gif

This works great until I apply a filter.  For instance, if I want to look at Ohio, I get this:

Three Year view Ohio.gif

Not extraordinarily helpful for comparison purposes.  So, is there a way to make the x-axis in each of the three views fixed to a value that floats, for instance 110% of the maximum value on display across the three views?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

• 1. Re: Dynamic axis in multiple dashboard views
          Andrew Watson

I don't know any way to have a floating fixed axis. In your example couldn't you just have all of this on one chart? Do you need a separate graph for each year instead of putting the year into chart which would automatically split the chart by year?

Andrew

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Dynamic axis in multiple dashboard views
            Tracy Rodgers

Hi Jon,

If Andrew's suggestion of putting all three sheets on one sheet, then I would suggest adding the synced axes on a dashboard to our Ideas section!

-Tracy

• 3. Re: Dynamic axis in multiple dashboard views
              Andy Cotgreave

I'm remote so this is untested but is an idea based on something i filed as a bug recently. This assumes you can create a calculated field that works out what the maximum value across all three values is. Are they the same data source? If not, this isn't going to work.

What you need to do is create the calculated field (that works out the max value on all three views). This will be some sort of WINDOW_MAX table calc. Then drop that calc on each worksheet, in the Level of Detail shelf. Finally, create a reference line on each chart based on that calc field. Format it so that it's invisible.  If you have a Reference line, Tableau always shows it on the view, whatever the range of the data.

This sounds simple as I write it, but I expect the filtering on the different sheets will make it hard to get that table calc right.

Failing that, get all the data onto one worksheet!

• 4. Re: Dynamic axis in multiple dashboard views
                Jon Boeckenstedt

Thanks to all for the suggestions.  Of course, when I first tried to create this, I wanted to do it on one sheet, but the structure of the data in the MS Analysis Cube won't permit that, at least as far as I can tell.  Each piece of the display is tied to a term and a date, and the point of this visualization is to all not just YTD comparisons but also compare today to some other date in previous years.

I can monkey around with it and update it frequently to get it to serve my purposes, but it takes a little bit of time to do so.

• 5. Re: Dynamic axis in multiple dashboard views
                  Jonathan Drummey

@Andy - Thanks for the ref line trick, I didn't know about that!