2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2012 12:36 PM by Steve Wexler

setting a parameter with tableau server

Steve Wexler

Hello,

I would like to pass a parameter to a parameter control in Tableau Server. 

I know the syntax for setting a filter, but I would like to do the same thing with a parameter.

The parameter name is "SelectStudent" and I want to give it the value of "1234 - Kramden, Ralph".  The URL I am using looks like this:

http://servername/views/WorkbookName/TabinWorkbook?StudentSelect=1234%20-%20Kramden%2C%20Ralph

Is there any additional syntax I need to set a parameter verses a filter?

Thank you,

Steve

• 1. Re: setting a parameter with tableau server
          Mark Holtz

Steve,

So are you encountering a problem with that?  Could you share your workbook or a screenshot or anything?

As far as I can tell, what you have is correct, assuming that there are no fields in your underlying data with the same name as the parameter.

If you have a parameter in Tableau called "SelectStudent" as well as a field in the data called "SelectStudent" I do not know which one Tableau would apply the url parameter to on Tableau Server.  If that is your issue, perhaps just rename the Tableau parameter...

When I want to pass url parameters in as filters, using a Tableau parameter, I usually create an additional calculated field in Tableau to add to the filters shelf:

IF [Parameter] = [DataField]

THEN 'Show'

ELSE 'Filter'

END

(set the filter to "Show")

Additionally, there is a nice list of url functions your can utilize here:

http://onlinehelp.tableausoftware.com/current/server/en-us/embed_list.htm

• 2. Re: setting a parameter with tableau server
            Steve Wexler

Mark,

Thanks for piping in.  As far as I can tell, the syntax I was using *should* have worked.  I was actually passing a calculated field that combined values from several fields.  I simplified it to just use an ID field.

As for the additional calculated field and filter, I use this

[Select Student]=[Studend ID]

and then set this to "True".

Steve