5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2013 11:29 AM by Marc Fernandes

Maximum String Length

Reginald Green

Hi Everyone,

Is anyone aware of a maximum string length limit in Tableau v6 or v7? This applies to strings that are displayed in views as well as strings that you can apply functions on e.g. CONTAINS, FIND, LEN, etc?

I ask the question because when I viewed a text column in MYSQL the actual string length was 6436 whereas when I displayed the same string in Tableau, I was only seeing part of the string despite setting the formatting to line wrap. I then did a LEN() on the string; the string length shown was 1024.

Thanks in advance,

R

• 1. Re: Maximum String Length
          Tracy Rodgers

Hi Reginald,

Tableau will generally only pickup 1,024 characters in a string. There have been instances in particular with MySQL when  the long string field's data type is changed to VARCHAR where Tableau will recognize more than 1,024 characters.

Hope this helps!

-Tracy

• 2. Re: Maximum String Length
            Matt Lutton

Hi Tracy Rodgers:

Somewhat related question:  Is there a maximum length for usernames for Tableau Server accounts? 

• 3. Re: Maximum String Length
              Tracy Rodgers

Hi Matthew,

There doesn't seem to be a limit when using local authentication--we just tested a 212 character username and it works. If Active Directory is the authentication method, the limitation is more likely within AD. Curious,what's the use case for needing such a long username?

-Tracy

• 4. Re: Maximum String Length
                Matt Lutton

We are going to bring on clients, and need unique usernames for all users on Server.  We just tried creating new users, and were limited to 25 characters for a username on our Server site--or at least, it appeared that way.  Eventually, we will have hundreds, even thousands of users.  We want a consistent naming convention that will be unique, despite instances where users have the same name. 

• 5. Re: Maximum String Length
                  Marc Fernandes

I was having this same problem analyzing a text field on our Microsoft SQL Server database.  It was giving me a maximum character count of 1,024 and when I viewed the underlying data, it only showed the first 1,024 characters, leading me to believe that our text field itself was limited to 1,024 characters.  When I looked again in Excel, I was seeing character counts of over 6,000 so I knew the issue was with Tableau.  This was easily resolved by editing the SQL query and putting the LEN() function there instead of in Tableau.  Worked like a charm!

2 of 2 people found this helpful