9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2012 12:55 PM by Craig Numata

Adding point order polygons as a Map Option/Mapping multiple layers as lines/polygons/points

Craig Numata

I work for a school district and frequently need to see data on a Map as it relates to elementary school boundaries, middle school boundaries, high school boundaries and sometimes voting precincts, most of which don't line up exactly with each other.  What I'd like to be able to do ideally is figure out how to add these point order polygons as map layers so I can choose which layers I want to use, as well as include/exclude school names, etc.  Sometimes it would be useful to have middle school boundaries as lines while the detail is at the elementary level as polygons.  Or for example using voting precincts (polygons) to track levy results across elementary school boundaries (lines).  So far, I've only been able to do this as one type of layer and it hasn't quite done what I think I want.

This may be unrelated, but I would also like to be able to figure out how to use tableau to calculate whether or not a point (student address) lies within a polygon (school boundary).  I have both geocoded, but if the polygon has more than four points (like a box), I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to try to calculate this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Craig