3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2015 10:53 AM by . Tableautester

boarder around shapes

Robert Gabica

Hello,

Simple question... How do you add a boarder around a shapes?  Sorry I searched and could not find the answer.

Thanks for your help

RG

• 1. Re: boarder around shapes
          Russell Christopher

Hey Robert -

When you say "Shapes", do you mean Shapes that show up in the "Marks" card here:

ScreenHunter_01 Jul. 25 18.05.gif

...or do you mean the things (sheets, objects) that you drop into a Dashboard?

There's no real way to accomplish #1 except to create custom shapes of your own and leverage those instead. Here's the books online topic on how to do this: http://onlinehelp.tableausoftware.com/v6.1/public/online/en-us/i1114815.html

If you're interested in drawing a border around a "container" in your dashboard, do this:

1. Add a Vertical or Horizontal layout container to your dashboard
          2. Click the container to select it, then use the menu to use "Format Container":

ScreenHunter_04 Jul. 25 18.11.gif

...You'll see an option to create a border around this container.

Now, anything you put IN the container will have a border around it.

Good luck!

• 2. Re: boarder around shapes
            Jonathan Drummey

When I was first learning Tableau it was weird to me that some views allowed borders around the marks (shapes) and some didn't, maybe you are having some of the same confusion.

In Tableau, the borders around marks are available for the marks that Tableau draws with vectors, like Gantt Bar, Square, Circle, Pie, Polygon, Area, and when the marks are drawn on a map. In addition, on maps you can also add a halo to every mark (essentially a second border). Borders are not available for the marks that are raster (bitmap) images, which are the Shape Marks. So in that case you have to use Russell's instructions. However, halos are availabe for Shape Marks on maps, and Tableau is smart enough to draw the halo around at the borders of the transparent portions of the Shape. There's one caveat, you can't have a Filled Map and then draw shapes on the map and use halos.

It would be nice if Tableau could draw halos around the Shape Marks anywhere/everywhere, I just added an Idea for that: http://community.tableau.com/ideas/1414

Jonathan

• 3. Re: boarder around shapes
              . Tableautester

Where did the idea go?

I get:

Not Found

The item does not exist. It may have been deleted.