2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2017 2:16 AM by Andrew Savage

Use Action in Calculated Field

Karl Jensen

What I am trying to do is allow the user to select a given provider from a graph and drill through to a page that gives detail for that provider.  That is easy using actions.  However, what I would like to also do is have a trend graph so that the user can see how the provider is doing over time.... AND compare them to all providers combined.  I can create two graphs - one for the provider selected and another that combines them all together, but sometimes the date range for the one provider is different than that of all providers (in the case of those who drop off or come on later).

So, it would be ideal to combine them in the same chart, with two different lines.  The problem is, if I use an action, it filters for the provider.  Then I no longer have the data for all the other providers.

If I could use the Action in a Calculated Field, then instead of using it in the Filter, I could include all the data and have two lines based on if the provider is equal to the user selected provider, and another one that includes all data points.

Is there a better way to do this??

• 1. Re: Use Action in Calculated Field
          Jonathan Drummey

Hi Karl,

I don't know of any way to use an Action Filter within a calculated field. One way to get your desired results is to duplicate your data source and then edit the relationships between the primary and secondary to remove the linking fields that would add too much detail (such as provider in your case). Then you can have a worksheet that shows the chosen provider and the totals. I've set an example up in the attached, using Sub-Category in place of Provider.

Cheers,

Jonathan

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Use Action in Calculated Field
            Andrew Savage

I realise you may have had the solution from when you asked this question.

I am looking into this now and you can use actions in Calculated field by using [Action(your field here)].

I have only just found this out and am still trying to find best practice with this and how to utilise this with my query.

Hope this helps as I saw this when looking into this myself.

Regards