Something like this? I added a Duration column to your dataset, but could have used a calculated field. I then put the Departure data on columns and set its pill to "Exact Date". Then dragged the shipment ID to Rows, and Duration to Size.
YES Exactly. So the Duration Calculation was date calculation to determine days on the water. I will give this a shot with my full data set. Really appreciate this!
Not sure if this is possible but I wanted to try and create a histogram of this data. The idea that I had was to have the days along the X axis and what I would like would be a sum of all the tons on the water on those dates. Essentially, I wanted a histogram over all days of total tons on the water. I think I may need to do some data manipulation but this would be great to accomplish. Any help would be appreciated.
Maybe someone smarter on the forums has a better idea, but... I think you'll have to rework your data to look like this:Date Shipment Tons3/2/2012 1 103/3/2012 1 10…4/3/2012 2 104/4/2012 2 10…It's a pain to do manually, but if you're pulling from a database, you can probably handle it in SQL. Here's the same workbook with an added, reshaped data source. I think the second and third tabs may be what you're aiming for.Hope this helps.
Yeah I agree it is a pain to do manually. If you saw the real data source, you'd run screaming with your hands waving in the air. I am not proficient with SQL so I am not sure I can customize something in tableau. The only way I can see this working is
- Creating a query of some sort that references a list of days, (so essentially have a column of every day for the next year) and creates a combination table for each shipment / date combination. Thereby creating a duplicate entry for every day.
- Create a date calculation that uses the (list of dates - ship date)
- compare that to duration and filter out any that are <0 or >Duration.
- I think I'd be left with every shipment in transit on every day.
- If I plot sum of the volume by actual date, I may have what I am looking for.
I may give this a try but I thought I would test it out with those more experience on the forum to see if I am completely cracked. If I do this in access and link tableau to my query, I think this would work. I think........knock on wood.