3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2012 2:15 PM by Russell Christopher

Problems Integrating Dashboards

Bryan Schapperle

So here is my dilemma. I am trying to integrate the work that my team has done and we have mutiple differnt dashboards. I know that you cannot bookmark a dashboard however I have been trying to bookmark all of the worksheets and bring them togeather. However, when I bring them togeather Tableau breaks down, all of our equations substitute differnt parameters and not all of the parameters come with the worksheets and dont even get my started about the problems I am having with data connections and extracts, I am pulling from 4 differnt Excel sheets. It is a mess, the only way I can concieve to do it is to start rebuilding from scratch and copying an pasting all of the formulas. Before I start down that road I just wanted to make sure there is not an easier way to do this.  :/      

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bryan

• 1. Re: Problems Integrating Dashboards
          Russell Christopher

Hey Bryan!

When stuff like this goes wrong, it can be frustrating! Sorry.

First, I'm going to play Devil's advocate:

Do you really need to bring all of your work together? Bringing a few dashboards that address the same business problem together into the same workbook absolutely makes sense - but quite a few people end up regretting building an "every dashboard but the kitchen sink" workbook - they're big, unwieldy, and if something breaks...everything is broken, not just some of your work. Conventional wisdom (I have no idea where it came from) says that you want to keep your workbooks below 30-35 sheets if you can help it.

That being said, let's move on to your problems. Yeah, if you want to combine workbooks, bookmarks are still your best bet.

It looks like you have several things going on here, and the community is going to need a little bit more detail about each issue to assist -- unless you were just making sure there wasn't an easier way before you opened up a support case or two.

Example(s):

However, when I bring them togeather Tableau breaks down, all of our equations substitute differnt parameters and not all of the parameters come with the worksheets

• Are you able to reproduce "swapped parameters" every time you use a bookmark? Can you provide the forum with an example "destination" and "source" workbook so we attempt to see what's going on?
          • In a given "broken" calculated field, what do you expect to see (example: Sum([FieldName]) * [My Parameter]) vs. what appears (example: Sum([FieldName]) & [Little Red Corvette])
          • Are you getting any error messages? What are they?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Problems Integrating Dashboards
            Bryan Schapperle

Unfortuantly I am working with some confidential data so I cannot provide the actual workbook but I can try to explain what is going on.

We have 3 dashboards that are all related but were created by 3 differnt people. In the end we would like to be able to link from one dashboard to the next. (One would be high level metrics and the next in line is a drill down where we can adjust many more parametres to simulate differnt scenarios. Ex. First dashboard breaks down Rev and Cost drivers, Second further breaks this down into being able to adjust specific drivers like fuel cost, GDP growth ect and disect them, I would like everything that is changed in the second dashboard to effect the high level metrics in the first dashboard if that makes sense.)

I guess my first question would be is this even possible?

Now lets move on to the specific problems I am having.

I am bringing togeather the sheets of the different dashboards into a new workbook and when i bookmark and open them even if they have the same data source the parameters and calculations get messed up.     For example if I origionally had Sales * [Sales Growth Parameter] when the bookmark is imported Tableau seems to be randomly assigning new parameters only to some equations and that calculation may become Sales * [Fuel Cost Parameter] which doesnt make sense. Then when I try to fix the calculations with the correct parameters I start getting a lot of cant mix Aggregate  and Non-Aggregate fields errors in calculations that were previously ok.

While I could go through and spend tons of time sorting everything out and fixing all the errors, is there an easier way or am I better off rebuilding all of the views and formulas from scratch.

• 3. Re: Problems Integrating Dashboards
              Russell Christopher

I guess my first question would be is this even possible?

Yes. You should be able to use Action Filters in one dashboard to drive filtering in a different one.

For example if I origionally had Sales * [Sales Growth Parameter] when the bookmark is imported Tableau seems to be randomly assigning new parameters only to some equations and that calculation may become Sales * [Fuel Cost Parameter]

This shouldn't happen. I just tried the same thing (importing sheets with calculated fields / parameters via bookmarks) and didn't see any problems. If you're not running the latest/greatest version of Tableau Desktop (7.06 - what I have) it might be worth your while to install it and try again.

Barring that, I think you probably should open up a case with Tableau Support. You can do that so via this link - http://www.tableausoftware.com/support/request They may very well want to look at the original workbook (source) and the bookmarks themselves to see what's going on.