3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2012 10:08 AM by Tim Latendress

Known limitations of Tableau when integrating with SAS dataset

Philip George

Which are the known limitations of tableau when integrating with SAS dataset using SAS ODBC driver?Is there any limitation on the volume of SAS data that tableau can handle?

• 1. Re: Known limitations of Tableau when integrating with SAS dataset
          Tim Latendress

Hi Philip,

The SAS ODBC driver is pretty weak and so I recommend creating an extract of the SAS dataset. We have extracted multi-million observation datasets that have 80+ variables and datasets with 1500+ variables that are a few hundred thousand obs without any problems at all. So, narrow+deep and wide+shallow all work without a hitch for us.

That said, here are two things we ran into that I would like to see improved at some point:

1) Tableau does not retain the sort order of the variables in the SAS dataset.

2) You cannot use SAS labels as Aliases.

Hope this helps a little.

Regards,

Tim

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Known limitations of Tableau when integrating with SAS dataset
            Philip George

Hi Tim,

Tableau connect with SAS dataset through ODBC driver.I tried it and it was successful.

Is it possible to connect Tableau with SAS scripts.We have one requirement as integration with SAS scripts.

Is there any way to do the integration?

Thanks in advance.

Philip George

• 3. Re: Known limitations of Tableau when integrating with SAS dataset
              Tim Latendress

Hi Philip,

It sounds like you are making some headway with your SAS data.  That's great. But I am not sure what you mean by "connect Tableau with SAS scripts"?  Are you referring to a DATA step View?  Or are you referring to a SAS stored process? Or something else altogether?

You can access Views in Tableau via your ODBC connection but there are some caveats if it is a local SAS session.

If you are hoping to run a SAS stored process from within Tableau -- forget it.  That functionality does not yet exist.  There are a couple of other software packages that I have worked with (Spotfire. ArcMAP) which can be customized using VBA to run SAS IOM direct interface stored processes. FYI, an IOM direct interface stored process is different than a regular SAS stored process because it runs on a workspace server, so your SAS setup requires SAS Workspace Server, Integration Technologies, SAS Management Console, and SAS Metadata Server. Not that any of that information helps you in Tableau but thought I would pass it along in case someone at Tableau were interested adding that functionality at some point.   With those other packages you can highlight data points in the viz, click a button on the toolbar (that you can customize) to pass those data as a text file to the SAS stored process. The SP would be setup to import the text file, runs some SAS code against those data, then return the results as either a text file back to the app for further analysis (very cool) or any other type of output the SAS ODS can produce (HTML, Excel spreadsheet, etc). Pretty powerful stuff.

Hope this helps.

--Tim

1 of 1 people found this helpful