11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2016 7:07 AM by Eleanor Platt

Parallel coordinates scaling

Charles Firkins

I am working on a parallel plot visualization and could use some help scaling my factors.

I have attached a workbook with random data that illustrates my issue.

In my case I have several different dimensions, and I would like whatever solution to easily (as it I just drop the dim I care about into the "Color" pill and it works) to change dimensions.  The issue is scaling across the different measures.  I would like to use a % scale (1%-100%) where the 0% is referenced from the lowest aggregate measure for that dimension group, and 100% is referenced from the highest aggregate measure for that dimension group.

For example Meas7 with Dim1 and using a "sum" aggragation has a minumum value at Dim1 value of "Ag" at a value of 1,513,759,750,822 and a maximum at "Ai" with a value of 1,940,867,696,991.  So I would like to scale Meas7 to a 0% is a value of 1,513,759,750,822  and 100% is a value of 1,940,867,696,991.  I also want this to work when I change the color to a different dimension - say Dim6 and when I use different aggragation functions (sum, average, median, count, etc).  For reference I am using the parallel coordinates guidelines from Stephen Few's book "Now you see it" pg 288.

I looked into a table valued function with disappointing results since it operates on the entire dataset, and I wan to operate on the "grouped" data.

Ideas or approaches to address the issues?