3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2012 2:44 PM by Joe Mako

How do I replicate the multi-color shading on the "Billboard Top 40" Viz of the Day?

Tom Davis

I was enchanted a few weeks ago by the "Billboard Top 40" example that was distributed (http://www.tableausoftware.com/public/gallery/billboard-hits-retrospective).  Apart from the trip through the time machine, I really liked the multi-color shading used on the "weeks on chart" chart in the lower right.  The lines faded from one color to the next through a wide range of the ROYGBIV spectrum.

I've fiddled around more than I intended trying to use that technique in my own data, to no avail. For my test case I've been playing with a simple plot of x and sin(x), trying to get two color transitions to display.

I'm throwing in the towel and will post the question, "How'd he DO that???"

More generally, is there a how-to hiding someplace so we users can learn to imitate the techniques seen in these examples?  If not, consider this a suggestion.  The Viz of the Day idea is great and is definitely encouraging me to try new things.

Thanks,

--Tom

• 1. Re: How do I replicate the multi-color shading on the "Billboard Top 40" Viz of the Day?
          Joe Mako

The reason why the line mark type is colored that way is because the pill on the color shelf is a discrete aggregate.

There are 4 main types of pills:

continuous aggregate

continuous dimension

discrete aggregate

discrete dimension

each of these pill type have different effects depending on the shelf they are on, along with other settings.

If you put a discrete dimension pill on the color shelf of a line mark type, you will get a separate line for each color.

There are many other combinations with different effects.

As for How-to's for viz of the days, what are some you would be most interested in seeing how-to's for?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How do I replicate the multi-color shading on the "Billboard Top 40" Viz of the Day?
            Tom Davis

Thanks, Joe. Your explanation – and the fact that I figured out how to download the source workbook – have me pointed in the right direction. 

As for which ones I’d most like to see, well, two jump to mind from recent weeks. There’s this one and the hurricane tracking.  Both push well beyond the "better data presentation than you can do in Excel" frontier, which is where I'm coming from.

Generalizing what’s of interest, I’d say there are a few categories:

• Clever manipulations of the data to support its graphic presentation, both at the source and with calculated fields.
            • Clever uses of maps to better convey information.
            • Clever involvement of the user in driving what’s shown on the dashboard.

I’m an occasional user for now, what you might call an “as needed” user.  But seeing examples (that someone with my skills can pull off) that spur ideas for my own work make me more likely to become a frequent user.  Having an explanation of how the developer got there (and why they did what they did) would be even better.

Thanks for the help,

--Tom

• 3. Re: How do I replicate the multi-color shading on the "Billboard Top 40" Viz of the Day?
              Joe Mako

I agree, I think that sounds like a great idea!