14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2014 10:13 AM by Tracy Sanders-Opara

Can you password protect a .twbx file?

Craig Hansen

As the subject states...

I build a lot of adhoc dashboards and a good portion of them contain sensitive/confidential data; is there anyway to password protect these outside of calculated field/parameters? Looking to lock down the file itself, stop peeping from unauthorized users (including Tableau Desktop users). We have Tableau Server, but due to our companies IT processes/turn-around-time and the quick n' dirty nature of these dashboards... that's not an ideal solution.

Assuming not and in that case, does anyone have any kind of solution or workaround they've figured out?

• 1. Re: Can you password protect a .twbx file?
          sirajmandayippurath

Hi Craig,

I have not found a solution to this myself, but maybe zipping the twbx file up using WinRAR or WinZIP and password protecting it then might be a workaround?

Siraj

• 2. Re: Can you password protect a .twbx file?
            Craig Hansen

Hi Siraj,

Thought about that option but it's not the level of security I'm looking for...

I'm really surprised this feature isn't already included... It's a data tool, it seems obvious that the data loaded would often be confidential and need some level of protection.

**Looks at Excel... sigh, our relationship is still required.

• 3. Re: Can you password protect a .twbx file?
              Russell Christopher

Hey Craig -

For what it's worth, we see Tableau Server as the mechanism that people should be using to secure their data. Why? It forces the user to have an specific identity vs. just a password and can be configured not to relinquish the data itself. For your data to be secure, you really don't want the workbook (with embedded data) leaving the server at all.

Those passwords that folks put on Excel workbooks are trivial to crack and offer a very false sense of security - really only good to scare off the casual interloper.

I understand that in your case Server isn't going to be an option and this what I'm writing is not a consolation, but thought I'd give it a whirl anyway

Have a good weekend!

• 4. Re: Can you password protect a .twbx file?
                Craig Hansen

Hey Russell,

Fair enough point and I appreciate the point of view...

In all honesty, I'm more concerned with stopping the kind of everyday situation where someone gets forwarded an email they shouldn't of got, that guy isn't a hacker. It's kind of like when you lock your car door... Is it going to stop a real car thief? No... but you lock it anyway, because it stops the everyday joe and you don't trust anyone.

Yes, I'm probably way over paranoid.

• 5. Re: Can you password protect a .twbx file?
                  Jerry Wetherall

Hi Craig,

I'm with you on this.  I was thinking of the ability to send private workbooks to clients who would  use Tableau Reader.  If a password protocol is involved, then let the sender beware and use a strong password.

The Tableau Server solution doesn't work for everyone; not everyone can afford it.

I just posted  this topic on Ideas.

Jerry

• 6. Re: Can you password protect a .twbx file?
                    hub.yoo

Have you tried using a calculation to "password protect" your file?

I used a parameter, if the user enters the correct string, the display shows relevant information, like profit. If the password does not match, it gives a different view of nothing of use.

Tried adding a demo workbook but its not working

Using the sales superstore data i did the following:

1 Made a parameter was a string with all values, user can enter anything.

2 made a calculation1: If [Parameter1] = "Valid" then [Profit] else .3203502 end

Definitely not an elegant solution but since its a parameter dependent calculation, the user can't view the correct underlying data unless then have the correct password

• 7. Re: Can you password protect a .twbx file?
                      Shawn Wallwork

Jerry, not sure this will be useful to you, but we can't justify the expense of Server either. So what we do is create individual FTP sites on our company server for each client. They use a password to download the twbx file. As long as they keep this behind their firewall and don't email it outside the company, the data remains relatively secure.

But like I said this probably isn't going to be very useful to you.

--Shawn

• 8. Re: Can you password protect a .twbx file?
                        Andy Piper

Great idea, Hub Yoo. Although this might work in Reader, if someone opens the file in Desktop, that person would be able to bypass the parameter.

• 9. Re: Can you password protect a .twbx file?
                          hub.yoo

Oh yeah, this is definitely for the reader. We have tableau server at work, but when i distribute packaged work books I add this feature just in case. Also sometimes add it to published workbooks on the server; the work books are not downloadable unless you published the workbook so it helps filter unauthorized users.

• 10. Re: Can you password protect a .twbx file?
                            Abhishek Khard

Hi , wanted to ask something related to password here .

Is there a password account lock-out situation in Tableau Server , when a user surpasses a certain number of failed attempts .

Thanks and Regards ,

Abhishek

• 11. Re: Can you password protect a .twbx file?
                              Matt Lutton

Not that I'm aware of--if you create the idea, I will certainly vote it up.

• 12. Re: Can you password protect a .twbx file?
                                Toby Erkson

Abhishek Khard wrote:

Hi , wanted to ask something related to password here .

Is there a password account lock-out situation in Tableau Server , when a user surpasses a certain number of failed attempts .

Thanks and Regards ,

Abhishek

This is a completely different question.  You should start a new thread so it will get the proper attention.

• 13. Re: Can you password protect a .twbx file?
                                  Matt Lutton

He did that as well: http://community.tableau.com/thread/141946

With all this Heartbleed commotion, it would be nice to see Tableau Server evolve and implement these security measures.

• 14. Re: Can you password protect a .twbx file?
                                    Tracy Sanders-Opara

Hi Hub Yoo,

Do you mind walking me through all of the nuances of this approach.  If I were to adopt this, is it safe to say I should create a parameter for each manager and create a custom password for each manager?  I have three populations I want to deliver to managers with results, managers without results and upper management. I think I need three workbooks to support that for the managers without results only give them access to the workbook with no manager information available.  Upper management sees everything so no password required here either.  Manager results use the parameter for access.  Does this sound like your solution will work for my problem?