7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2013 12:38 PM by Shawn Goicoechea

Sum of maximums

Brent Holm

I have a table of values which are aggregated by maximum. I would like grand totals that are sums of the maximums. I.e., I would like to control the grand total aggregation method, rather than it being the same aggregation method of the table. Is that possible? If so, how would I do it? I have attached the table.

• 1. Re: Sum of maximums
          Tracy Rodgers

Hi Brent,

This functionality is not currently possible, a great one for the Ideas section though!!

The best way around this is to find the desired grand total on a separate sheet and place the two worksheets on a dashboard together. Hope this helps a bit!

-Tracy

• 2. Re: Sum of maximums
            Jonathan Drummey

Hi Brent,

Awhile back I created this Idea on having more control over what the Totals show:

http://community.tableau.com/ideas/1232

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Sum of maximums
              Yogi Harel

Hi,

You might have to create a calculated dimension (field) on what you want to max by, then a calculated measure (field) based on that and then maximize (agg) on this new measure inside the view.  Then you might be able to control some of this default behavior. 

I was having the same issue w/ aggrregating on calculated fields - not sure if this solution would work for you but maybe it would...

• 4. Re: Sum of maximums
                Joe Mako

Tracy,

I see that you frequently post "This functionality is not currently possible" when table calculations can accomplish what is being requested.

I would love to have a conversation with you to show you that many of these things that you think are not possible are in fact very doable, and many times with multiple routes to achieve the desired results.

I know you are trying to help, and I would like to help you in return.

• 5. Re: Sum of maximums
                  Joe Mako

How about the attached?

• 6. Re: Sum of maximums
                    Brent Holm

Joe, that is exactly what I was looking for. I figured a calculated field is what I needed, but I am not very good at those yet. Thanks.

• 7. Re: Sum of maximums
                      Shawn Goicoechea

Hey Joe,

I read this and appreciate the example as I'm trying to do something similar and have been having no luck.

I have a list of names that were paid on certain dates w/ multiple lines per date an in the column I'm looking at in this example those are duplicate values..  I want to sum only the max for all the lines on a given date - but I want to sum the max of each employee on each date without having to display all employees.  Correct me if I'm wrong - but the calculation you have shown in this example doesn't work because it is based on a table calculation.. right? 

Any insight or ideas you have would be awesome. I posted my original question in another thread before I noticed this one.. http://community.tableau.com/thread/124885

Thanks!