6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2012 9:00 PM by Ranjan Sahoo

Is there any way for DB level prompt or to capture value of quick filter?

Ranjan Sahoo

Hi,

Anybody can suggest, is there any way to create DB level prompt like Business Objects,or to capture value of quick filter, so that we can use to calculate other fileld?

Thanks,

Ranjan

• 1. Re: Is there any way for DB level prompt or to capture value of quick filter?
          Russell Christopher

Hi Ranjan -

I'm not familiar with the functionality you're asking for. Can you give us a little bit more in terms of how a "DB Level Prompt" works and what you use it for?

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Cheers!

• 2. Re: Is there any way for DB level prompt or to capture value of quick filter?
            Ranjan Sahoo

Hi Russel,

It is a prompt,which itself filters the data, when you refresh,It is similar to global quick filter in Tableau.I think performance will be better probably or remain same. It basically filters at source,don't bring the data to report.It has multiple application including, based on artifical prompt value, we can capture the value and completely change the report window requirement say we can have prompt like chart or table lets say. In a single window through artifical prompt we can change to chart and table.Other functionality are there.

For me more important question is second part, whether we can capture value of quick filter in a variable and use to for other purpose like passing the value to another quick filter that is based on another query.

Thanks,

Ranjan

• 3. Re: Is there any way for DB level prompt or to capture value of quick filter?
              Russell Christopher

HI Ranjan -

The selected values of a quick filter can't really be captured in a variable and passed around the way it sounds like you want to. We do everything we can to simplify the report creation process for non-technical users, and many/most of them wouldn't really understand how to use something like this.

That being said, there are a couple things you can do here.

• As you already noticed, filters can be made "Global", so that they apply to ALL sheets that rely on the data source. You can also place a filter in "Context"( http://kb.tableausoftware.com/articles/knowledgebase/using-context-filters-improve-performance), which can be very useful. You can also combine these two approaches. I think this will take care of your filtering requirements.
              • To drive things like other things like "what UI is displayed", I'd advise you to use a Parameter - they allow the user to enter a value, then you can use that value throughout the workbook in much the same way you might use a variable.

The only thing that we're not going to be able to do for you is FORCE the user to enter a value into a parameter by popping up a dialog box.

Hope this helps!

• 4. Re: Is there any way for DB level prompt or to capture value of quick filter?
                Ranjan Sahoo

Hi Russel,

Thanks for your reply. I am not interested in the 2nd question, as i don't want any comparison with other tools, it was just i asked for the sake.The first one to capture the value.If i move to the requirement-------------

1. We have two diff. queries to process for two sheets, that need to be placed in a single dashboard.

1. We have a common filter, that needs to be shown and customer needs to dynamically filter. Since these are two diff. queris, i am forced to display same filter twice to user for selection. User is not happy. He wants to select

the filter once. Say state- i will not be happy to select Texas twice. What i want let the client selects one, then I will use some underlying process to pass the value to the other filter and hide the filter.So that customer will only select once, both queries will get executed and data will be shown in the dashboard.

Any idea, you can propose..

Thanks,

Ranjan

• 5. Re: Is there any way for DB level prompt or to capture value of quick filter?
                  Russell Christopher

Parameters will still help you with this scenario.

Let's say that we want to filter a Products field that exists in each query:

Query1.Products

Query2.ProductName

These two fields contain the same values, but are named differently, which is often the case.

You would create a Parameter that shows values from one or the other field (Query1.Products or Query2.ProductName). You name the parameter whatever you want, in this case [Choose a Product]

Then, in each datasource (what you call a query), you would create a Calculated Field which looks like this:

Datasource1:

[Products] = [Choose a Product]

Datasource2:

[ProductName] = [Choose a Product]

When then these new fields are added to the Filters shelf, they will prompt you to choose True/False - You'll choose "True" since you only want rows with a product name that equals whatever value has been selected with the Parameter.

You might also find that the Tableau Action Filter feature is useful as it allows you to filter one or more sheets based on actions taken in another sheet. So, for example you could create a sheet that does nothing but list Products - and use THAT SHEET as a filter - You'd hook up an action filter so that when users select one or more values in the sheet, it filters the other TWO sheets in the dashboard.

Good luck!

• 6. Re: Is there any way for DB level prompt or to capture value of quick filter?
                    Ranjan Sahoo

Thanks Russel,you are champ. Parameter did the trick.Earlier i tried with action,it was not exactly solving the issue.

Any idea, how to change the background color of dimension field like row/column based on condition.

Detail filed is happening through highligh table. Dimension field, it is not happening.

Thanks,

Ranjan