1 2 3 Previous Next 40 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2017 6:36 AM by Anthony Chamberas

HOWTO: tabcmd on Linux - step-by-step guide

Tamas Foldi

[Update: for tableau 9 tabcmd click here]

So, I have ported the tabcmd application to Linux, from java to native ruby, thus it can work on any platform. If someone needs this for his own environment, here are the steps what I did:

Step 0: You must have ruby and rubygems installed on your system. No java is required.

Step 1. Copy tabcmd.jar from Windows to your linux/unix box

Step 2. Unzip contents of tabcmd.jar to a clean directory.

$ unzip ~/tabcmd.jar

$ ~/tabcmd

Step 3. Install all required gems

$ gem install `for i in ../../gems/*  ; do (echo \`basename $i\` | cut -f 1 -d '-') ; done `

Step 4. Remove tabutils references

rm ~/tabcmd/rb/tabcmd/common/ruby/lib/tabutil.rb

vim ~/tabcmd/rb/tabcmd/common/ruby/lib/dump_reporter.rb

Change contents to:

#require 'tabutil'

class DumpReporter

def initialize(app_name, log_dir, exit_on_exception)

end

def self.setup(app_name, log_dir, exit_on_exception)

$dump_reporter = DumpReporter.new(app_name, log_dir, exit_on_exception)

end

def self.force_crash

end

end

Step 5. Set APPDATA directory

$ export APPDATA=~

Step 6. Remove java specific relative path from relative_path.rb

$ vim ./common/ruby/lib/relative_path.rb

Change the line 8 to:

#    tableau_working_dir = java.lang.System.get_property("tableau.working.dir")

tableau_working_dir = "."

Step 7. Add execute flag to tabcmd.rb

$ chmod +x bin/tabcmd.rb

How it works:

[root@gp-linux tabcmd]# bin/tabcmd.rb login -U admin -s http://192.168.8.162:8040

===== Creating new session

=====     Server:   http://192.168.8.1:8040/

=====     Username: admin

Password:

===== Connecting to server...

===== Logging in...

===== Login Succeeded.

[root@gp-linux tabcmd]# ruby bin/tabcmd.rb get views/Sample/Dashboard/admin/View4.csv

===== Continuing previous session

=====     Server:   http://192.168.8.1:8040/

===== Requesting views/Sample/Dashboard/admin/View4.csv from server...

===== Saved views/Sample/Dashboard/admin/View4.csv to /root/tabcmd/View4.csv.

===== Succeeded

Enjoy

• 2. Re: HOWTO: tabcmd on Linux - step-by-step guide
          Dan Huff

That is pretty darn cool!

• 3. Re: HOWTO: tabcmd on Linux - step-by-step guide
            Francisco Cha

I am having a hard time trying to install the gems. What version of ruby, rubygems and tabcmd are you using?

gem install `for i in ../../gems/*  ; do (echo \`basename $i\` | cut -f 1 -d '-') ; done `

ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Zlib::GzipFile::Error)

not in gzip format

Thank you,
            Francisco Cha

• 4. Re: HOWTO: tabcmd on Linux - step-by-step guide
              Tamas Foldi

Do you have internet access? This error usually means, that you cannot grab the packages from rubygems.org.

Check: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3059175/not-in-gzip-format-error

However, I will ask my colleague to share his way of Linux porting. He did the porting in a different way, instead of using native ruby he just changed few classes in the tabcmd.jar. So yes, there many ways to make tabcmd working on linux.

In the meanwhile we moved a few tableau services to linux, and they are working quite well. I am working to to move the whole tableau server to linux (DLLs will executed by WINE), so I will keep you updated.

• 5. Re: HOWTO: tabcmd on Linux - step-by-step guide
                Francisco Cha

Thank you for the quick response. You were correct my server did not have internet access. I was able to fix that issue however I ran into some other errors:

ERROR:  Could not find a valid gem 'bouncy' (>= 0) in any repository

ERROR:  Possible alternatives: bounce, bunch, bouncer, bunny, mounce

ERROR:  Could not find a valid gem 'jruby' (>= 0) in any repository

ERROR:  Possible alternatives: cruby, gruby, ruby, vruby

ERROR:  Could not find a valid gem 'ruby' (>= 0) in any repository

ERROR:  Possible alternatives: ruby

ERROR:  Could not find a valid gem 'ruby' (>= 0) in any repository

ERROR:  Possible alternatives: ruby

• 6. Re: HOWTO: tabcmd on Linux - step-by-step guide
                  Tamas Foldi

OK, then here is one of my customer's method for porting (thanks Zoltan). As I moved everything under ruby, he just leaves everything under jruby.

Copy the tabcmd.jar file from c:\Program Files (x86)\Tableau\Tableau Server\7.0\bin\ to an empty directory and unpack it.

> jar xf tabcmd.jar

> rm tabcmd.jar

Modify tabcmd/common/ruby/lib/tabutil.rb so it looks like this:

require 'java'

#require 'tab-tabutil-dll.jar'

#Tabutil = com.tableausoftware.tabutil.dll 

module Tabutil

def self.force_fault

end

class Tabutil

def self.setup_fault_reporting(p1, p2, p3, p4)

end

end

end

When done, pack up the whole thing back into a jar file:

> jar cf tabcmd.jar . 

When you have the jar, create a command file to run it with the following contents:

#!/bin/bash

export APPDATA=.

java -jar tabcmd.jar "$@"

Grant executable permission to the file and you're done:

> chmod u+x tabcmd 

Test with:

./tabcmd login --server http://192.168.8.162:8040 --username emarsys
                  • 7. Re: HOWTO: tabcmd on Linux - step-by-step guide
                    Ben Sullins

After following the second set of instructions here I received the following error:

Failed to load Main-Class manifest attribute from tabcmd.jar

A colleague of mine was able to help me resolve this by adding the following additional steps:

1. Create a new file inside the directory you have extracted the jar named "manifest.txt"
                    2. In the file add the following text: Main-Class: JarMain
                    3. Now package up the Jar with the following command: jar cfm tabcmd.jar manifest.txt .

This tells Java which one is the Main class inside the jar to execute. Hope this helps!

PS - You can also just download the updated jar from the following link: tabcmd.jar

Message was edited by: Ben Sullins

• 8. Re: HOWTO: tabcmd on Linux - step-by-step guide
                      Ben Sullins

I've also converted this over for version 8 if anyone else out there was looking for this. The same steps above work but to save you the time here is the jar and executable.

To get this working simply download both files to somewhere on your linux/mac box. Then from terminal browse to this directory and execute commands like so:

./tabcmdexe login --server http://127.0.0.1 --username MyUsername --password MyPassword

• 9. Re: HOWTO: tabcmd on Linux - step-by-step guide
                        Ben Sullins

in the v8 version of this, I'm getting the following error. Thoughts?

$ ./tabcmdexe listsites

*** Using highline effectively in JRuby requires manually installing the ffi-ncurses gem.

*** jruby -S gem install ffi-ncurses

=====     Server:   https://myserver/

=====     Username: myusername

Password: stty: stdin isn't a terminal

stty: stdin isn't a terminal

• 10. Re: HOWTO: tabcmd on Linux - step-by-step guide
                          Justyn Attwool

Hi Ben,

I have no problems doing a listsites , but I do a login first - is the commands I want , then logout

$ ./tabcmdexe version

*** Using highline effectively in JRuby requires manually installing the ffi-ncurses gem.

===== Tableau Server Command Line Utility -- Version 8000.13.0319.1225

$

$ ./tabcmdexe login -u admin -p mypasswd --server https://myserver --no-certcheck

===== Connecting to server...

===== Logging in...

===== Login Succeeded.

$ ./tabcmdexe listsites --no-certcheck

===== Continuing previous session

===== Listing sites for user admin...

===== Succeeded

=====

NAME: Default

SITEID: ""

NAME: Training

SITEID: "Train"

• 11. Re: HOWTO: tabcmd on Linux - step-by-step guide
                            Justin Smith

Thank you Tamas for this, and thank you Ben for the final product links as well as version 8. This will certainly help out my institution when we move forward with our Server installation. I spoke with one of my IT guys the other day, and mentioned I saw a ported Linux version of Tabcmd and his eyes lit up. I think he will utilize this a lot.

Thanks again for your contributions,

Justin

• 12. Re: HOWTO: tabcmd on Linux - step-by-step guide
                              Ben Sullins

Thanks Justyn, yeah I had accidentally ported over the beta v8 and it wasn't working. I got a fresh copy of the .jar and redid the process and it worked fine.

• 13. Re: HOWTO: tabcmd on Linux - step-by-step guide
                                Justyn Attwool

Thats great Ben, glad you got it working.

Yep I built my jar from an 8 scratch.

• 14. Re: HOWTO: tabcmd on Linux - step-by-step guide
                                  Philippe Verhaeghe

Hello,

I tried this on my linux server, but I the error listed below.

Any suggestion to solve this ?

Thanks,

Philippe

java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /tmp/jffi3888236194056693819.tmp: /tmp/jffi3888236194056693819.tmp: failed to map segment from shared object: Operation not permitted

at com.kenai.jffi.Foreign$InValidInstanceHolder.getForeign(Foreign.java:90)

at com.kenai.jffi.Foreign.getInstance(Foreign.java:95)

at com.kenai.jffi.Library.openLibrary(Library.java:151)

at com.kenai.jffi.Library.getCachedInstance(Library.java:125)

at com.kenai.jaffl.provider.jffi.Library.loadNativeLibraries(Library.java:66)

at com.kenai.jaffl.provider.jffi.Library.getNativeLibraries(Library.java:56)

at com.kenai.jaffl.provider.jffi.Library.getSymbolAddress(Library.java:35)

at com.kenai.jaffl.provider.jffi.Library.findSymbolAddress(Library.java:45)

at com.kenai.jaffl.provider.jffi.AsmLibraryLoader.generateInterfaceImpl(AsmLibraryLoader.java:188)

at com.kenai.jaffl.provider.jffi.AsmLibraryLoader.loadLibrary(AsmLibraryLoader.java:110)

at com.kenai.jaffl.provider.jffi.Provider.loadLibrary(Provider.java:31)

at com.kenai.jaffl.provider.jffi.Provider.loadLibrary(Provider.java:25)

at com.kenai.jaffl.Library.loadLibrary(Library.java:76)

at org.jruby.ext.posix.POSIXFactory$LinuxLibCProvider$SingletonHolder.<clinit>(POSIXFactory.java:108)

at org.jruby.ext.posix.POSIXFactory$LinuxLibCProvider.getLibC(POSIXFactory.java:112)

at org.jruby.ext.posix.BaseNativePOSIX.<init>(BaseNativePOSIX.java:30)

at org.jruby.ext.posix.LinuxPOSIX.<init>(LinuxPOSIX.java:17)

at org.jruby.ext.posix.POSIXFactory.loadLinuxPOSIX(POSIXFactory.java:70)

at org.jruby.ext.posix.POSIXFactory.loadPOSIX(POSIXFactory.java:31)

at org.jruby.ext.posix.LazyPOSIX.loadPOSIX(LazyPOSIX.java:29)

at org.jruby.ext.posix.LazyPOSIX.posix(LazyPOSIX.java:25)

at org.jruby.ext.posix.LazyPOSIX.setenv(LazyPOSIX.java:275)

at org.jruby.RubyGlobal$StringOnlyRubyHash.case_aware_op_aset(RubyGlobal.java:177)

at org.jruby.RubyGlobal$CaseInsensitiveStringOnlyRubyHash.op_aset(RubyGlobal.java:88)

at org.jruby.RubyHash$i$2$0$op_aset.call(RubyHash$i$2$0$op_aset.gen:65535)

at org.jruby.runtime.callsite.CachingCallSite.cacheAndCall(CachingCallSite.java:332)

at org.jruby.runtime.callsite.CachingCallSite.call(CachingCallSite.java:203)

at org.jruby.ast.OpElementOneArgOrAsgnNode.interpret(OpElementOneArgOrAsgnNode.java:70)

at org.jruby.ast.NewlineNode.interpret(NewlineNode.java:104)

at org.jruby.ast.BlockNode.interpret(BlockNode.java:71)

at org.jruby.ast.RootNode.interpret(RootNode.java:129)

at org.jruby.evaluator.ASTInterpreter.INTERPRET_ROOT(ASTInterpreter.java:119)

at org.jruby.Ruby.runInterpreter(Ruby.java:724)

at org.jruby.Ruby.loadFile(Ruby.java:2487)

at org.jruby.runtime.load.ExternalScript.load(ExternalScript.java:66)

at org.jruby.runtime.load.LoadService.tryLoadingLibraryOrScript(LoadService.java:745)

at org.jruby.runtime.load.LoadService.smartLoad(LoadService.java:332)

at org.jruby.runtime.load.LoadService.require(LoadService.java:379)

at org.jruby.runtime.load.LoadService.lockAndRequire(LoadService.java:304)

at org.jruby.RubyKernel.requireCommon(RubyKernel.java:1050)

at org.jruby.RubyKernel.require(RubyKernel.java:1033)

at org.jruby.RubyKernel$s$1$0$require.call(RubyKernel$s$1$0$require.gen:65535)

at org.jruby.internal.runtime.methods.JavaMethod$JavaMethodOneOrNBlock.call(JavaMethod.java:319)

at org.jruby.runtime.callsite.CachingCallSite.cacheAndCall(CachingCallSite.java:312)

at org.jruby.runtime.callsite.CachingCallSite.call(CachingCallSite.java:169)

at org.jruby.ast.FCallOneArgNode.interpret(FCallOneArgNode.java:36)

at org.jruby.ast.BlockNode.interpret(BlockNode.java:71)

at org.jruby.ast.RescueNode.executeBody(RescueNode.java:216)

at org.jruby.ast.RescueNode.interpretWithJavaExceptions(RescueNode.java:120)

at org.jruby.ast.RescueNode.interpret(RescueNode.java:110)

at org.jruby.ast.BeginNode.interpret(BeginNode.java:83)

at org.jruby.ast.RootNode.interpret(RootNode.java:129)

at org.jruby.evaluator.ASTInterpreter.INTERPRET_ROOT(ASTInterpreter.java:119)

at org.jruby.Ruby.runInterpreter(Ruby.java:724)

at org.jruby.Ruby.runInterpreter(Ruby.java:732)

at org.jruby.embed.internal.EmbedEvalUnitImpl.run(EmbedEvalUnitImpl.java:120)

at org.jruby.embed.ScriptingContainer.runUnit(ScriptingContainer.java:1263)

at org.jruby.embed.ScriptingContainer.runScriptlet(ScriptingContainer.java:1256)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:606)

at JarMain.launchJRuby(JarMain.java:98)

at JarMain.start(JarMain.java:111)

at JarMain.main(JarMain.java:136)

Caused by: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /tmp/jffi3888236194056693819.tmp: /tmp/jffi3888236194056693819.tmp: failed to map segment from shared object: Operation not permitted

at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary1(ClassLoader.java:1957)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1882)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1843)

at java.lang.Runtime.load0(Runtime.java:795)

at java.lang.System.load(System.java:1061)

at com.kenai.jffi.Init.loadFromJar(Init.java:164)

at com.kenai.jffi.Init.load(Init.java:78)

at com.kenai.jffi.Foreign$InstanceHolder.getInstanceHolder(Foreign.java:49)

at com.kenai.jffi.Foreign$InstanceHolder.<clinit>(Foreign.java:45)

at com.kenai.jffi.Foreign.getInstance(Foreign.java:95)

at com.kenai.jffi.Internals.getErrnoSaveFunction(Internals.java:44)

at com.kenai.jaffl.provider.jffi.StubCompiler.getErrnoSaveFunction(StubCompiler.java:68)

at com.kenai.jaffl.provider.jffi.StubCompiler.<clinit>(StubCompiler.java:18)

at com.kenai.jaffl.provider.jffi.AsmLibraryLoader.generateInterfaceImpl(AsmLibraryLoader.java:146)

... 58 more

LoadError: load error: META-INF/init -- java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /tmp/jffi3888236194056693819.tmp: /tmp/jffi3888236194056693819.tmp: failed to map segment from shared object: Operation not permitted

require at org/jruby/RubyKernel.java:1033

(root) at <script>:2

1 2 3 Previous Next