Siraj, I don't quite follow your question. Which of the following are you trying to accomplish:
- Publish the workbook "as-is" to a different Tableau Server (QA/PROD)
- Switch the data source in your workbook so that it uses an already-published data source on your QA/PROD server
- Modify the existing data source so that it points to a different data source (your QA/PROD Oracle box, for example...instead of your DEV Oracle box)
I would like to publish the workbook as is to a different Tableau Server (QA/PROD) and then switch the data source in the workbook so that it uses an already available datasource on QA/PROD instance. So, it is a mixture of 1 and 2.
OK, You'll need to handle switching the data source first, then publish.
- Menu Select: Server | Logout from PROD
- Server | Logon to UAT/QA/PROD/Whatever
- Menu Select: Data | Connect to Data
- Pick your data source from UAT/QA/PROD
- Menu Select: Data | Replace Data Source, and swap your "Prod" data source with the newly imported one
- Menu Select: Server | Publish Workbook to UAT/QA/PROD server
Thanks very much Russell.
In terms of migrating the Data Source definitions, what would a recommended approach be? Would that be to take a local copy of the data source first, log off the server and then to publish the local copy to the new server?
The technique that you mention will work, or can copy local then automate the publish by using tabcmd publish "datasourceName.tds" --db-user dbusername --db-dbpassword "somePassword" etc...etc...
more details on page 303 of the admin guide