3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2012 7:58 AM by James Behm

Error when adding a worker

James Behm

Hi All,

I just upgraded from 7.0.3 to 7.0.4 and I am running in to issues when adding workers to the server. Everything is running on Windows Server 2008.

If I try to add a worker, I get the following error message. "This is the only instance of the Data Engine. It cannot be removed" when trying to add a worker on the primary server configuration console.

Any clue what is going on here?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Error when adding a worker
          Tracy Rodgers

Hi James,

Usually this error is a result of some part of the upgrade process not migrating the configuration correctly. To fix this issue, the best solution is usually to perform a clean install and restore the backup with no configuration.

Hope this helps!

-Tracy

• 2. Re: Error when adding a worker
            James Baker

We looked at the code, and that error message is really triggered solely on the data engine allocation, independent of any worker configuration.  Is there really a data engine defined in your configuration?  You might need to add a data engine host first, then add your new worker.

• 3. Re: Error when adding a worker
              James Behm

I ended up with several underlying issues causing a variety of problems, so I did a clean re-install. Following the clean re-install, there were several other issues that I addressed below:

First, IIS was installed on both the primary and worker servers. After restarting the server, it seemed that Tableau Server and IIS were competing for port 80, and which ever one grabbed port 80 first won. So, I uninstalled IIS.

Second, Tableau was generating a random port to verify licensing. Windows firewall did not like this. So, for the time being, I have turned off the firewall on both the primary and workers.

While, I will eventually want to turn the firewall back on, I do now have Tableau Server (7.05) configured with High Availability/Failover.