3 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2012 1:10 PM by Richard Leeke

Annotate-Mark (on a map): Multiple at Once

Hello.

I am spending a lot of time right-clicking on each gray district and selecting "annotate..." - "Marks" to display the district and head count for each one per school. I've tried every other way I can think of to be able to display all such annotations at once (with the "Label" and "<schoolAGG>" fields), but I cannot seem to get around doing this one at a time. Any ideas?

Also, I will start another discussion in a minute related to the same file called "Displaying embedded (hidden) shapes on a map" if anyone is interested in being a double hero.

• 1. Re: Annotate-Mark (on a map): Multiple at Once
          Tracy Rodgers

Hi Michael,

This can be done by creating a calculated field similar to the following:

max([LABEL]) + '

'+

[Woodward]

Then, on the marks card, toggle through to AVG(ET_Y) (2) and place the calculation on the Label shelf. To get them to all show up select ALL in the label drop down menu, and check Allow mark labels to overlap. Also, it appears that a lot there were some hidden data points, so go to Analysis-->Reveal Hidden Data.

Hope this helps!

-Tracy

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Annotate-Mark (on a map): Multiple at Once

Hi Tracey.

Thanks. This is helpful and it almost get me to where I need to be.

If I could do the following, I would be all set:

1. Create a universal calculated value where instead of entering an individual field name like "Woodward", I could somehow select a field of interest (for the school whose map I'm creating) and have it automatically referenced somehow.

2. If I could follow the steps you outlined but instead of displaying all district head counts for the school, only show those that have values of 1 or more. Also, if the font of those labels can match those that I currently have with the mark annotations and if the dots can be hidden, it would be perfect.

Either way, I think this is a step in that direction.

Thanks again,

Michael

• 3. Re: Annotate-Mark (on a map): Multiple at Once
              Richard Leeke

Just spotted the activity on this thread - I just replied on your other thread with something that goes most of the way to addressing your point 2, I think.

On your point 1, the only way I can think of doing it is with a trick with the data source, using a cross join of the source data with a table which lists all the school districts, and then having a single select filter on the sheet which selects just the school district of interest. It's a bit hard to explain this succinctly, but I did explain the technique recently buried in amongst a whole lot of other stuff in this thread.