3 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2012 8:22 PM by Jonathan Drummey

Padding and Running Sum

Alex Kerin

Data: I have shift starts and shift ends for employees. I want to apportion hours to a day (this will later be matched to a volume on the daily level)

Issues: Shifts run over midnight. Therefore I have to apportion part of a shift to a volume for that day, and part of the shift to the volume for the next day

I've tried tackling this several ways - custom SQL with running sum (thanks Richard Leeke) - fails because I'm not capturing a duration anywhere and don't have a datetime to use for the total for the day (if I use shift start then I may miss the last day of the data set as no shifts start on this day - no durations, and vice versa)

I've tried padding by every hour and day thanks (@Jonathan Drummey), but duplication when the padding data and a shift start is at the same time causes a problem.

Any ideas. Added bonus - I will want to do this by hour as well eventually so that I could understand the labor hours used between 12pm and 1PM on the 2nd Jan.

My attempts attached....

• 1. Re: Padding and Running Sum
          Alex Kerin

Some progress - keep the shift end and start as well as the Combined DateTime (this allows us to look at all dates where any hours were worked). SQL:

SELECT [Sheet1$].[ID] AS [ID],

1 as [Delta],

[Sheet1$].[Shift Start] AS [DateTime],

[Sheet1$].[Shift Start] AS [Shift Start],

[Sheet1$].[Shift End] AS [Shift End]

FROM [Sheet1$]

union all

-1 as [Delta],

[Sheet1$].[Shift End] AS [DateTime],

[Sheet1$].[Shift Start] AS [Shift Start],

[Sheet1$].[Shift End] AS [Shift End]

FROM [Sheet1$]

And then the duration in hours for that day as a calc:

If [Delta]=1 then

(if int([Shift End])-int([Shift Start])>0 then int([Shift Start])+1 - float([Shift Start])

else [Shift End]-[Shift Start] end)*24

elseif [Delta]=-1 then

(if int([Shift End])-int([Shift Start])>0 then  float([Shift End])-int([Shift End])

else 0 end)*24

end

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Padding and Running Sum
            Alex Kerin

I also (think) I have solved the padding I needed to create to look at this by hour.

The issue occurs if there is an hour during the day where a shift does not start or finish. Now I have no mark in that hour to divide a volume by. Presuming a shift runs over this hour, there are of course labor hours associated with that hour. I needed to pad the data out for all hours of the day. I did this with custom SQL:

1 as [Delta],

[Sheet1$].[Shift Start] AS [DateTime]

FROM [Sheet1$]

union all

-1 as [Delta],

[Sheet1$].[Shift End] AS [DateTime]

FROM [Sheet1$]

union all

SELECT "HHMM" AS [ID],

0 AS [Delta],

CDate(Format([Sheet1$].[Shift Start],"mm/dd/yyyy") + " " + [HHMM$].[HH:MM]) As [DateTime]

FROM [HHMM$], [Sheet1$]

union all

SELECT "HHMM" AS [ID],

0 AS [Delta],

CDate(Format([Sheet1$].[Shift End],"mm/dd/yyyy") + " " + [HHMM$].[HH:MM]) As [DateTime]

FROM [HHMM$], [Sheet1$]

HHMM is a text list of 00:00 to 23:00. This is similar to the padding created by Jonathan Drummey a while back, but here I avoid the need for a separate list of days (and where statements that seemed to cause performance issues), but it does mean in my case I need another union to pull in padding for shifts that end the day after.

And yes, I am marking this as correct....

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Padding and Running Sum
              Jonathan Drummey

Nice work!

Jonathan