3 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2012 3:47 PM by Tracy Rodgers

trailing spaces in a string

ernesto debeaumarchais

I'm trying to put the dates in a calendar view.  The thing is I would like the data to be centered in the box as opposed to right justified.  See the first picture below.

I thought I'd be able to put some trailing spaces at the end,. after the "Cenus" data value, but it doesn't work.  I have to put a character like a "." at the end of the spaces or tableau just trims off all the spaces.  I tried using CHAR(), SPACE(), setting up a calculated field and referencing that, etc.

This is my calculated field:

"["+str(MIN(DAY(CensusDate)))+ "]

" +
      str(sum(Census)) + "     "  ([THIS GETS IGNORED])
      +"
      "

I tried changing it to use SPACE():

" +
      str(sum(Census)) + space(10)
      +"
      "

But then I get this error: Tableau Data Engine Error: 4: PrimitiveExp::MakePrimitive: map_concat_usr8_col_usr2_val

I would think this should be simple, but it seems not to be.  Any ideas?

calendar.png

What I'm looking for is something like this

" +
      str(sum(Census)) + "              ."
      +"
      "

But without the stupid "." at the end:

calendar2.png

• 1. Re: trailing spaces in a string
          Tracy Rodgers

Hi Ernesto,

Which version are you using? When I used the above calculation, there was no need for the period at the end. Also, does the Center justify work?center justified.png

-Tracy

• 2. Re: trailing spaces in a string
            ernesto debeaumarchais

Professional 7.0. 

I can center it, but what I was aiming for was what I had in my second picture, where the date is in the top right corner and the data is in the center, so it looks more like a regular desktop calendar.  And there's a clearer distinction between the date and data:

calendar2.png

I am unable to get the trailing spaces after the data when I have it this way.  Tableau trims them unless I put some character like the "." at the end.  Are you able to get the spaces without putting a "." at the end?  If yes, can you post the example?

I just kind of changed it around so that the fields are left justified instead:

" + "              " +
            str(sum(Census))
            +"
            "

calendar3.png

Which is fine, I was trying to match something existing that looked the other way.  Plus now I'm just curious if there is a way to pad out the end of a string.

• 3. Re: trailing spaces in a string
              Tracy Rodgers

Hi Ernesto,

I see what you are talking about now, and I was getting very frustrated as well. However, I think I found a solution. Change the alignment to Middle Center like in my previous post. Then, edit the calculation so the spaces are at the beginning, similar to the following:

"                 ["+str(MIN(DAY(CensusDate)))+ "]

" +

str(sum(Census))

Hope this gets you what you're looking for!

-Tracy