1 Reply Latest reply on May 8, 2012 9:56 AM by Dan Cory

Automatically Refreshing Tableau server on a schedule

Hello,

I have read some of the posts on automatic refresh. But I am still not fully clear on this. My access database finishes uploading latest data by 6 am every morning. What are the steps to schedule automatic update of Tableau server at 6:30 am with this latest data?

1) Set up incremental refresh for all data connections within Tableau Desktop using the date field. How do I schedule this incremental refresh to run at 6:30 am every morning?

2) Get the Tableau System Administrator to create a schedule that refreshes Tableau server at  7 am. Does that mean I dont have to publish my workbook anymore? How does the server read the refreshed extract files if I am not publishing my workbook? Do the data extract files (tde files) have to be in a place that Tableau Server can access. Currently I republish all my workbooks every day!

3) Is step 1 necessary at all? Cannot tableau server just read directly from the refreshed data extracts? In that case how do I schedule to automatically refresh (incremental refresh) the data extracts without going into Tableau desktop?

Thanks,

Ram.

• 1. Re: Automatically Refreshing Tableau server on a schedule
          Dan Cory

1. Get the Tableau System Administrator to create a schedule that runs every day at 7am.

2. In Tableau Desktop, publish your workbooks. When you publish, press the "Scheduling & Authentication" button. In the "Scheduling & Authentication" dialog, choose the schedule you want. Make sure the authentication for every data source is set to Server Run As account or Embedded.

If you want to use incremental extracts, then you need to open your workbook in Tableau Desktop, choose Data > datasource > Extract Data... and make sure the Incremental Updates checkbox is checked.

Dan

1 of 1 people found this helpful