3 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2016 7:57 AM by Trent Haun

    data engine error:4: bad node type

      I created a tableau file with a large extract (2GB) and sent it to a fellow coworker.  This was just an update of last months data which he was able to open just fine.  However, this month when he tried to open the tableau worksheet the follow error arose stating "bad node type".  I cannot find anything about this data engine error, can someone please help?  The worksheet opens just fine on either one of my computers, and even when I move the extracts to a thumb drive and relink the extracts so I am not sure what the issue is for my coworker.

        • 1. Re: data engine error:4: bad node type
          Neeta Mishra

          Were you able to resolve this. I am getting the same error.

          • 2. Re: data engine error:4: bad node type
            Cody Bryant

            Got this error 15 minutes before an important meeting with my customer; I can't open any data files or view anything. I guess I need to move off tableau...

             

            The only thing I did was move the files from one drive to another, similar to the above poster. Apparently tableau files can become corrupted and you lose all your data if you do this. Even the original copy can't be opened now.

            • 3. Re: data engine error:4: bad node type
              Trent Haun

              Hey Katie/Cody, both myself and a coworker are experiencing this very same thing at the moment (in 9.3).  While I don't have an explanation, I was able to find a workaround that may help others stuck in a similar situation.

               

              In our case, it was two different TWBX files that each contained a very large TDE.  They worked fine a month ago, but when we both independently went in to make updates, we both received an 'unable to load packaged workbook, unexpected error' message.

               

              The fix:

               

              To resolve the issue, I made a copy of the twbx workbook, and the renamed one of the copies to end in '.zip' instead of  '.twbx'.  We then unzipped the modified file, and could access the .twb and the .tde separately.  Sure enough, when we tried accessing the TDE in a new file, it gave us the 'Bad Node Error' you have above, but we were able to successfully open the .twb file, which then prompted us to either relocate the bad extract, remove it, or regenerate it.  While time consuming, we opted to regenerate the data extract and had a fully functional workbook restored once the extract completed.

               

              Not ideal, but we're relieved we don't have to completely recreate the workbooks.  Hopefully this helps others in the same boat!

               

              Thanks,

              Trent