2 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2012 1:46 PM by Bibhu Chaudhury

OR clause in filters

Bibhu Chaudhury

I have a Tableau report where I would like to apply a new filter which is a combination of multiple columns e.g. date1 > 04/15/2012 OR date2 > 04/15/2012. It seems the filter drag and drop doesnt work in this scenario. I tried creating calculated measure but that didn't work either. Any thoughts?

• 1. Re: OR clause in filters
          sirajmandayippurath

Hi Bibhu,

It is possible to use Parameters to define the fields you would like to filter by and then use these parameters in Calculations to achieve the OR functionality.

I have attached a workbook that shows this example using the Order Date and Ship Date on the Superstore Sales example. Can you have a play about with the parameter sliders and let me know if this is what you were looking for please?

Cheers

Siraj

• 2. Re: OR clause in filters
            Bibhu Chaudhury

Hi Siraj,

Thanks for your reply. I did use calculated measure to solve this, however I think the problem was in date conversion .. got error "command text was not set for command object". Source database is Teradata.

IIF (

[Date1] <= DATE ("04/15/2012") or [Date2] <= DATE ("04/15/2012")

,1 ,0

)

I finally avoided this by defining a date parameter and then using that in the calculated measure.

Best wishes,

Bibhu