4 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2012 8:07 AM by Emma Whyte

Best way to group large data set

Emma Whyte

Hello,

I have a data set of satisfaction questions on a 1-7 scale. We have created an Overall Satisfaction variable in our MySQL database that

is the sum of the coalesce() functions against 0 for each relevant field, divided by the sum of a count done against each of the same fields.

i.e. for each relevant field, if the field has a score in it the score is added up to form the numerator and 1 is added to build the denominator

However, this creates a problem when wanting to use this variable in Tableau.

I would like to create a bar chart with the 1-7 scale on the X axis and Count Number of Records on the Y axis.

The problem I am having is that Tableau plots every instance of a mean score between 1-7 that is possible on the X axis (please see picture attached). The bar gets taller the more people have the same mean score. Over time as more data is collected the bar graph would become a solid colour.

I would like to group the Overall Satisfaction variable, but would like advice on the best way to do this? I know how to create a group, but what would be the best way to group it?

I know social science data often comes across this problem and wondered if anyone else had come up with ways of solving it?

Thanks