6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2012 2:00 PM by Alan Kwan

Oracle Error: ORA-12154

Alan Kwan

Hi all,

One of our users on the server published a workbook and when we click on it, the following shows up:

An error occurred on the server. The details of the error are: 

TableauException: 
      • Oracle database error 12154: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified Unable to connect to the server "RAM.world". Check that the server is running and that you have access privileges to the requested database.
      • Errors occurred while trying to load the workbook "/views/NewARS". The load was not able to complete successfully.

On the server machine, we don't have none of the oracle software installed (oracle client etc.) is this why? Do we need to install it?

Could the user see what they published on the server if I see this error? I am saying this because they have oracle software installed and we don't.

Thanks,

Alan

• 1. Re: Oracle Error: ORA-12154
          Dimitri.B

If the published workbook has to connect live to Oracle, instead of using an extract, then the server machine needs Oracle client installed and configured for this to happen.

The user with Oracle client on his/her machine will also see this error, as the server machine needs to make a connection, not the client.

One easy way to fix this is to use Tableau data extract.

• 2. Re: Oracle Error: ORA-12154
            Alan Kwan

Is this how the flow works?

1) User connects to oracle server on Tableau Desktop

2) Publishes an extract to the Tableau Server

3) Schedules an extract refresh

4) The extract will query the oracle server, refreshes it, and feeds to the workbook on the server?

Will the workbook on the server be refreshed? or the user have to republish again?

• 3. Re: Oracle Error: ORA-12154
              Dimitri.B

The workbook will work, but it will not refresh if the server machine doesn't have Oracle client installed and configured in such a way that the client can correctly interpret the connection that came with the published workbook and connect to the right database.

If not, the user will have to re-publish every time the update is required.

Ideally, you would want both user and server machines to have identical Oracle client installation/configuration for this to work smoothly.

• 4. Re: Oracle Error: ORA-12154
                Alan Kwan

Hi Dimitri,

I got the oracle connection to work by adding the connection info into TNSNames.ora.

I can connect to the oracle database by typing the full database name in the: Step 1:Enter the Oracle connection name box all the time? (myservername:port/service_name)

Is it possible for them to just type the service_name and get connected?

I tried, doesn't work.

• 5. Re: Oracle Error: ORA-12154
                  Tracy Rodgers

Hi Alan,

Have you referred to this KB article already?

http://kb.tableausoftware.com/articles/knowledgebase/oracle-connection-errors

-Tracy

• 6. Re: Oracle Error: ORA-12154
                    Alan Kwan

Tracy,

Yes I have used that article and it solved my issue.

My next question is,

I can connect to the oracle database by typing the full database name in the: Step 1:Enter the Oracle connection name box (myservername:port/service_name)

Is it possible to just type the service_name in the same box and get connected?

I tried already, didn't work.