6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2012 4:44 PM by Tracy Rodgers

Sharing Dashboards from a Cube

Nicholas Hermez

Hello,

I'm extremely new to cubes but I needed to connect with MS Analysis Services for a project.  Is it possible to share this dashboard with others without exporting to pdf?

Thanks,

Nick

• 1. Re: Sharing Dashboards from a Cube
          Tracy Rodgers

Hi Nicholas,

If your users have access to the cube, you can share the dashboard using Tableau Reader, or if you have Tableau Server, you can also share it that way.

-Tracy

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Sharing Dashboards from a Cube
            Nicholas Hermez

Thanks for the response!  I just want to make sure I understand correctly:

Are you saying that if my users do not have access to the cube, then I can allow them to view the dashboard using Tableau Server?

Or are you simply saying that Tableau Server is another way to distribute the dashboard to users, assuming the have Tableau Server?

Thanks,

Nick

• 3. Re: Sharing Dashboards from a Cube
              Tracy Rodgers

Hi Nick,

The latter. Tableau Server is another way to distribute the dashboard, so long as they have permissions to Tableau Server.

-Tracy

• 4. Re: Sharing Dashboards from a Cube
                davidclaen

Hi Nick,

just to make this clear.

Connection to SSAS with Tableau Desktop differs from connection SSAS with Tableau Server.

If you want to create Views and Dashboards with Tableau Desktop you must have access to the Cube. Tableau Desktop is using your personal (AD) Credentials (Windows Authentication) for the connection.

Tableau Server is running under a technical User. This user is connecting to SSAS and executes all the queries.

You can publish your developed Views and Dashboards to Tableau Server. You are also allowed to give your users different kinds of access to the dashboards. But the user credentials aren't used for the SSAS connection.

This is one reason, why you can not use built in CubeSecurity in SSAS.

Regards,

David

• 5. Re: Sharing Dashboards from a Cube
                  Grzegorz Mikulski

Hi Tracy,

I built a dashboard that is connected to cube. All my users will have access to the cube with their own login/password.

Dashboard is build as *.twb - but I have connection both to cube & Excel file (some custom hierarchies for blending).

How can I distribute this? Tracy, you said I can share dashboard using Reader:

Tracy Fitzgerald wrote:

Hi Nicholas,

If your users have access to the cube, you can share the dashboard using Tableau Reader, or if you have Tableau Server, you can also share it that way.

-Tracy

But if I try to save as *.twbx - I get an error: "This workbook connects to remote data sources that Tableu Reader cannot open. Continue saving with remote connections?"

Users will not be able to open the file using Tableu Reader? Is there a way to maintain live connection to cube using Tableu reader?

PS. When I open Tableu reader, I only see possibility to open *.twbx files.

I found these articles that say I need to save data as extract:

http://kb.tableausoftware.com/articles/knowledgebase/warning-when-saving-packaged-workbooks

http://kb.tableausoftware.com/articles/knowledgebase/tableau-reader

But this is contrary to what you said, so just to be sure - maybe there is already a way to connect live to cube using reader (and articles are not up to date)?

Thanks for reply on this,

Grzegorz

• 6. Re: Sharing Dashboards from a Cube
                    Tracy Rodgers

Doh! Must've been having a day dreaming moment...you are right, an extract must be taken in order to distribute your workbooks via dashboards, and taking an extract is a limitation of using a cube data source. I sincerely apologize for leading your astray on this!