3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2012 2:07 AM by Andre Goehler

Parameter to display values

Andre Goehler

Hello,

I am trying to use a parameter so that the customer can decide whether he wants to see labels or not.

Calculation:  If [parameter] = yes then (????) else ....

(????) stands for a function that shows labels or displays the value, just like the Abc button does.

Does anyone know how that works?

Regards,

Andre

• 1. Re: Parameter to display values
          Alex Kerin

If you put this calculation on the labels shelf it should work:

If [parameter] = yes then whatever aggregation you are using (e.g. sum)([whatever variable you are plotting]) end

Should work.

• 2. Re: Parameter to display values
            Steven Taylor

Hi Andre,

First, I would recommend setting up your parameter like this:  When you use an integer instead of a string, your calculations will be faster. 

Parameter.png

In this case, I want [School Name] to be my label.  So I set up a calculated field like this:

Calculation.png

In this case, I just want to show labels or nothing.  If you want it to choose between two fields for the labels, then just put a field name where the "" is currently.

Add the Calculated field to the Labels shelf.  In this case I named it "Labels Calc":

Labels Shelf.png

Then right click on the parameter, and select "Show Parameter Control." Now the parameter should control what is displayed in your labels. 

Hope this helps.

-Steve

• 3. Re: Parameter to display values
              Andre Goehler

Hi Alex and Steven,

Thanks for your reply, but that does not help me at all.

I tried that before but since i have multiple tasks or measure values this does not work anymore.

Case 1: Measure Values

In this case, i want to colour Avg's above 6.5 or below 5.9 for Question (Q06, Q14, Q15)

So i wrote a parameter to choose between Highlight above 6.5 or below 5.9 or do not Highlight

Then i wrote 2 calculations to define the parameters

Now i put those together in a "show-colour calculations"

The problem i have is, that the highlighting still does not work, If one AVG is below 5.9 it highlights the whole row. But i want the calculation to recognise each question. That means it requires a Field which includes those 3 questions at the same time.

See Problem here:

Case 2:

If i have multiple Marks on a worksheet i would have to write as many "show label calculations" as many marks i have. But im looking for some sort of general calculation which takes impact on every single Mark. So again we got the same issue here.

Regards,

Andre