3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2012 2:20 AM by vlad.turbuleasa

Top 10 Calculation Year over Year

Elizabeth Coleman

Hello,

Is it possible to calculate the top 10 or bottom 10 that shows year over year?  For instance I want to know who  forecasted accurately this year, last year and the year before.  How do I calculate that in Tableau?  Thanks

• 1. Re: Top 10 Calculation Year over Year
          James Wright

Hi Elizabeth,

Here's a quick answer for you that should point you in the right direction. This is using the default Superstore Sales data and a calculated field I called "Rank".

rank.png

Index is going to simply give us the position in the list of things on the viz.

To start, I added year and customer to my viz and displayed sales as a bar. After dragging rank on as a filter, I right clicked on it to access the Edit Table Calculation option. I used the "advanced" option under "compute using", moved both fields (Year and Customer) to the right side of the dialog and sorted by descending Sales.

Advanced filter.png

Then I OK'd that and came back to my table calculation dialog, asking it to rank by customer and restart every year.

top10customersbyannual sales.png

At that point, it's just a matter of filtering to get only the top X (in this case 10). To get the rank into the view, I cntrl+dragged it into labels and also created a discrete version to sort my customers by (right click, convert to 'discrete', drag between customer and year, then uncheck "Show Header" for that pill.

Hope that helps - I've linked to a Tableau Public visualization demonstrating the product below.

http://public.tableausoftware.com/static/images/To/Top10CustomersbyAnnualSales/Top10CustomersbySalesperYear/1.png

• 2. Re: Top 10 Calculation Year over Year
            Elizabeth Coleman

thank you.  That solved the problem. 

• 3. Re: Top 10 Calculation Year over Year

Hello everyone ,

How can i make a top 10 devices table that are sending data to my oracle DB if i have 800 devices and a point is that will dynamical change the divaces if in the DB the traffic log change. I must show in my table the top 10 devices and all other devices to be grouped to "Others" ? Has someone some idea?