1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 24, 2012 10:15 AM by Tracy Rodgers

Month over Month calculations

Tj Claridge

Hey All,

I poked around a little bit for this answer but none seemed to nail it down for me. If you have any suggestions on how to perform a Month over Month calculation, it would be much appreciated.

So, what I have is a list of daily submissions in a datetime format (see below). I'm calculating the total submissions by a uniqueID.  I'm using a quick filter to allow the user to select the month of interest which reports the total number of requests made during that month. What I would like to do is bring some context to this number by providing a % in change from the previous month based upon this user's selection of the target month. For example, if the user selects April to investigate, the calculation will return the % difference from March.

UniqueIDSubmissionDate
      Status
      1000014/23/12 2:14 PM

Open

4/23/12 2:17 PMClosed
      1000034/23/12 2:24 PMClosed
      1000043/23/12 2:33 PMClosed
      1000053/23/12 2:46 PMOpen

An additional gotcha here might be that I also allow for "ALL" to be selected in the quick filter for months. If that is an issue I can tackle that separately. I'm also open to tackling this in other ways if you care to share.

I'm using Tableau version 7

Data source is excel worksheet (extract)

• 1. Re: Month over Month calculations
          Tracy Rodgers

Hi TJ,

In order to show a month over month value, more than one month has to be in the view. One month cannot be filtered out. This is because a table calculation is being used to compute the value, and if there is nothing to compute it against, then Tableau doesn't know what to do with it. This is often a common request--it would be a great one to place under the Ideas section of the Community.

-Tracy

1 of 1 people found this helpful